The Student Room Group

International Business & Maths

So I applied for university to study International Business.
I am not the best at Maths but I was wondering if there is a lot of Maths required in this course.

anyone studying this course that can give some clearance on it?

Much appreciated x
I've done a management related degree, and I can tell you the maths required barely goes above GCSE level.

Most of the time it will depend on what modules you choose. Anything with a strong finance theme will most likely require strong A Level Maths.

Most of the time though, you will be adding and dividing broad numbers in accounting.

You may get a stats module where it covers AS Level maths. The introductory unit in economics is mostly GCSE maths at best (we're talking areas of triangles, drawing lines on diagrams, figuring out areas).
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I've done a management related degree, and I can tell you the maths required barely goes above GCSE level.

Most of the time it will depend on what modules you choose. Anything with a strong finance theme will most likely require strong A Level Maths.

Most of the time though, you will be adding and dividing broad numbers in accounting.

You may get a stats module where it covers AS Level maths. The introductory unit in economics is mostly GCSE maths at best (we're talking areas of triangles, drawing lines on diagrams, figuring out areas).

Ooh, what course did you do?

I've heard that maths is a vital part of International business but I've also heard from others that it doesn't really require a lot of maths.
Original post by Chxchii
Ooh, what course did you do?

I've heard that maths is a vital part of International business but I've also heard from others that it doesn't really require a lot of maths.

Accounting with management. I've done A Level maths, and that was more than enough for the course.
Original post by Chxchii
So I applied for university to study International Business.
I am not the best at Maths but I was wondering if there is a lot of Maths required in this course.

anyone studying this course that can give some clearance on it?

Much appreciated x

Hi! I'm Elena, a Business Management student at Surrey.

At Surrey, all Business Management students do the same modules in first year, and I can tell you we didn't do a lot of maths. And for the maths we did do, we got lessons on how to do it or revision for the basics. I also have friends doing International Business and the only main "maths" difference is that they have Finance as a compulsory module in the first semester of second year, but apart from that, there are not a lot of number-focused modules! If it helps, I am also not the best at maths, but by paying attention in class and working hard, I managed to get a First in accounting last year (to be fair, you just have to get the hang of it). You can look at the entry requirements and course specifications for International Business at Surrey here.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Elena, Business Management.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi! I'm Elena, a Business Management student at Surrey.

At Surrey, all Business Management students do the same modules in first year, and I can tell you we didn't do a lot of maths. And for the maths we did do, we got lessons on how to do it or revision for the basics. I also have friends doing International Business and the only main "maths" difference is that they have Finance as a compulsory module in the first semester of second year, but apart from that, there are not a lot of number-focused modules! If it helps, I am also not the best at maths, but by paying attention in class and working hard, I managed to get a First in accounting last year (to be fair, you just have to get the hang of it). You can look at the entry requirements and course specifications for International Business at Surrey here.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Elena, Business Management.

Thank you for the insight in this course. I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending