Aruty
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi

I study with the Open Study College and I am doing A Level's in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was due to take exams in 2021 but they got cancelled due to the pandemic. There was the Ofqual consultation so I am hoping that there will be exams for A Level private candidates in Summer 2021.

1. Can you provide guidance on outcome of Ofqual consultation and whether Open Study College will provide CAG's (Centre Assessed Grades) or if its related centre in Birmingham, English Maths Science Tuition & Examination Centre (Sparkhill) would provide CAG's?

Also, I would like to apply for 2022 entry for Medicine so only really need predicted grades this year to apply before October 2021 for Medicine. I just wanted to get actual grades this year as I am studying privately so that I can just apply with actual grades. My only concern is if I don't get to apply this year with actual grades due to no exams taking place and if no CAG's are provided by Open Study College/or the centre in Birmingham then, maybe if I do appy with predicted grades in September 2021 for Medicine that there may not be any exams again in Summer 2022.

2. So my other question would be whether you know if exams in Summer 2022 are guaranteed with the whole pandemic going on in case exams do not take place in Summer 2021 after Ofqual consulatation outcome?

I am just really apprehensive of of the whole Summer 2021 exam situation for private candidates and at edge to hear what the outcome of the Ofqual consultation will be.

Therefore, can you provide guidance for above two questions?
Student2813
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Aruty)
Hi

I study with the Open Study College and I am doing A Level's in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was due to take exams in 2021 but they got cancelled due to the pandemic. There was the Ofqual consultation so I am hoping that there will be exams for A Level private candidates in Summer 2021.

1. Can you provide guidance on outcome of Ofqual consultation and whether Open Study College will provide CAG's (Centre Assessed Grades) or if its related centre in Birmingham, English Maths Science Tuition & Examination Centre (Sparkhill) would provide CAG's?

Also, I would like to apply for 2022 entry for Medicine so only really need predicted grades this year to apply before October 2021 for Medicine. I just wanted to get actual grades this year as I am studying privately so that I can just apply with actual grades. My only concern is if I don't get to apply this year with actual grades due to no exams taking place and if no CAG's are provided by Open Study College/or the centre in Birmingham then, maybe if I do appy with predicted grades in September 2021 for Medicine that there may not be any exams again in Summer 2022.

2. So my other question would be whether you know if exams in Summer 2022 are guaranteed with the whole pandemic going on in case exams do not take place in Summer 2021 after Ofqual consulatation outcome?

I am just really apprehensive of of the whole Summer 2021 exam situation for private candidates and at edge to hear what the outcome of the Ofqual consultation will be.

Therefore, can you provide guidance for above two questions?
Hey there, I don’t think anyone on here can give concrete answers to your questions because everything is still undecided. The results of the ofqual consultation are not out yet so although there are speculations as to how the final grades will be awarded no one knows including private centres. I think the best think you can do right now is contact open study college that you are with and ask them if they have any ideas in place on how they plan to proceed depending on the outcome of the consultation.

For your second question once more no one can give a concrete answer as to what will happen with exams in 2022, that is more than a year away and anything can happen depending on the course of this pandemic. I am assuming though 2022 exam may be more likely to go ahead as the vaccinations continue the situation is hopefully going to get better. Again though there are no definite answers to your questions because everyone in here is also waiting to see what will happen.

I can imagine how stressful it is to have you future on the line like this, but I suggest contacting your college and the universities you plan on applying to will get you some more information. Other than that just wait it out till the end of this month, we should have a clearer picture on how grades are likely to be given this year by then!

Best of luck
Mkbedford
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hey, I too am studying at open study college, I was taking Sociology A-level in 1 year to replace a bad grade I got due to the teacher given grades in 2020. I know when signing the agreement for OSC I remember reading a disclaimer saying they are not reliable if exams are to be cancelled in 2021. In order to try get into my desired uni I am waiting to receive offers and am going to contact the admissions team directly, just explain ur circumstance. Ik it’s harder for medicine but if the government continue being incompetent then don’t wait for them, unis have the power to give their places to who they please.
Aruty
Rep:
(Original post by Mkbedford)
Hey, I too am studying at open study college, I was taking Sociology A-level in 1 year to replace a bad grade I got due to the teacher given grades in 2020. I know when signing the agreement for OSC I remember reading a disclaimer saying they are not reliable if exams are to be cancelled in 2021. In order to try get into my desired uni I am waiting to receive offers and am going to contact the admissions team directly, just explain ur circumstance. Ik it’s harder for medicine but if the government continue being incompetent then don’t wait for them, unis have the power to give their places to who they please.
Hey
Just saw some news come through about potential consultation outcome and how Ofqual could be offering optional exams for A Levels so fingers crossed - hope that actually happens ☺️

https://youtu.be/PKLqgWk4Nt4
Last edited by Aruty; 11 months ago
deeaadeea
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hello! I am also studying with OSC. Can't we receive predicted grades?
Aruty
Rep:
Yes we can. Just may not receive CAGs so hoping for the optional exams so I can get actual grades that reflect ability properly
deeaadeea
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Aruty)
Yes we can. Just may not receive CAGs so hoping for the optional exams so I can get actual grades that reflect ability properly
Why not? Can you please tell me what have you been told? Many thanks!
Last edited by deeaadeea; 11 months ago
Aruty
Rep:
(Original post by deeaadeea)
Why not? Can you please tell me what have you been told? Many thanks!
We are private candidates so I’m not sure what’s happening . OSC themselves are waiting on updates from Ofqual consultation for what to do for private candidates. Consultation outcome would be with us end of February. I think it would be worth for you to also call OSC and see if they have any updates
sophiendramber
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
helllo
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
uhh I having exams on February so i send some question and answers that I wrote my first exam is maths and yeah I only 9 8 need some ones help to grow my knowledge pls help me , ifyou guys cannot understand my handwriting you can ask me pls help me to get smarter in maths
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Name:  image-0a3ac85f-72e7-4a71-91bc-c8e4cb78d66d4598593055865045562-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  50.1 KB
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
this is the first page
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I will send other things later I have online class
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
uhh I don't have class today so imma Send other questions too
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Name:  image-84bf49f9-92a6-484a-8f88-5df19713ba7125158531728450628-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  60.9 KBe
sophiendramber
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Name:  image-a43b8c90-6218-4531-bb05-df8d3edcff015242123127961654326-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  46.9 KBName:  image-f962228b-c682-43e2-89de-8cbb9f7d58ac3271228171499670181-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  44.0 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (138)
26.04%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.3%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads