The Student Room Group

Do Russel groups accept BTEC?

I know Russel groups claim they accept BTEC, however, do they actually?

For example, I want to go to kings or Nottingham for computer science and I do

A level Psychology (A/A*
A level Turkish (A/A*
BTEC computer science (D*)
Business Studies (D*)
EPQ (A/A*)

Is it likely for me to get an offer or will the fact that I do two BTEC’s pull my application down?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by celalaksu27

A level Psychology (A/A*
A level Turkish (A/A*
Business Studies (D*)
EPQ (A/A*)

Is it likely for me to get an offer or will the fact that I do two BTEC’s pull my application down?

Honestly lots of russel groups allow BTECs but it depends on the course's entry requirements have a look on their website
Reply 2
Computer science is A* A D which i can easily get
BTEC applicants are not disadvantaged in the admissions process.
Unis do not 'prefer' those taking 3 A levels and do not make offers to them over anyone else.
If you meet the grade requirements and have written a good PS, then you have as much chance of an offer as anyone else.
you have lower chance of getting in but there is still a chance

maybe lower your aspirations
Reply 5
Of course! Why not?
Reply 6
Original post by mny.launder
you have lower chance of getting in but there is still a chance

maybe lower your aspirations

Lowering my aspirations isn’t an option. Don’t underestimate my academic performance. I was asking for advice, not a comment that challenges my aspirations
Lowering my aspirations isn’t an option. Don’t underestimate my academic performance. I was asking for advice, not a comment that challenges my aspirations

I wasnt underestimating your academic performance, i was viewing it at face value, the same process during admissions
you have lower chance of getting in

No - they do not.
Universities do not state 'BTECs are second class and actually we prefer A levels'.
Under current consumer law they have to be entirely honest about entry requirements are and what is 'required' or 'preferred'.
No tricks, no secrets.
the same process during admissions

Perhaps you could explain your experience of University admissions?
Original post by McGinger
Perhaps you could explain your experience of University admissions?

if two equal applicants, equal ps, work experience, race etc, have applied, one with alevels, and the other with btecs. 90% of the time, the alevel holder will gain access.
if two equal applicants, equal ps, work experience, race etc, have applied, one with alevels, and the other with btecs. 90% of the time, the alevel holder will gain access.

You are incorrect. You do not work in University admissions.
You actually have no idea how they assess applications.

And what do you mean by 'race'? Are you suggesting they pick white people first?

A level Psychology (A/A*
A level Turkish (A/A*
Business Studies (D*)
EPQ (A/A*)

Those grades seem pretty high tbh

A level Psychology (A/A*
A level Turkish (A/A*
Business Studies (D*)
EPQ (A/A*)

The fact that you don't have A level Maths may be an issue - but if that is not a requirement, then apply.

I’m sorry but this is nonsense. I’ve also no idea why you’ve thrown ‘race’ in there as that info isn’t available to admissions staff.

If both applicants meet the subject requirements then they both get offers.
Original post by Admit-One
I’m sorry but this is nonsense. I’ve also no idea why you’ve thrown ‘race’ in there as that info isn’t available to admissions staff.

If both applicants meet the subject requirements then they both get offers.

even for highly subscribed Russel group universities
yeah i bet they will
Bruh
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jae jae
At this point, you’re waffling.

just stating facts
even for highly subscribed Russel group universities
yeah i bet they will

Both of us work for RG Unis.
Reply 19
Hey there, I study psychology at King's and got in with two A Levels (including psychology which was listed as one of the required subjects) and a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. For my particular course this aligned with the entry requirements on the website. I also had an offer from UCL based on one A Level and my BTEC, but again it depends on the course and its specific requirements. I would just say don't be discouraged, it is absolutely possible. And I think doing a BTEC which is directly related to the degree can actually demonstrate more practical experience than A Levels which you could emphasise in your application. Best of luck!

Edit: keep in mind there may be different requirements based on how many credits your BTECs consist of, for example mine was a two year course and I got D*D*D*.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply