The Student Room Group

Your five top policies (if you were granted then)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
So there's no real problem, then.

You don't need to have a monopoly to get situations like that. Even if you did, the government can't always break them apart.

The right to discriminate in employment and in public / private services would be a terrible "fundamental freedom". All you're doing is just adding to people's suffering and needlessly promoting prejudice and segregation. What positives outweigh the negatives?

Well it is from my perspective. Are you familiar with the idea of Fabianism?

Such as? Why not?

Ok but you seem to think that being able to discriminate in your home and presumably personal life is a "positive" fundamental right. What benefits are there to society by allowing a racist not to allow other races into his home?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here:

You appear to view rights as being convenient at a given time or place or/and contingent upon "positive"outcomes. If this isn't your view then please clarify why not?

we may both be the most vile hated pariahs in society but so long as we do not break the law are still subject to the same rights as everyone else even if society doesn't benefit from it.
Original post by MatureStudent37
So you’re saying Jordan Peterson isn’t anti Semitic now.

Bernie Sanders is the American version of Magic Grandpa. Both get sh*t because of their very similar political beliefs. Not because Bernie sanders Jewish. It may have missed you by but one of Magic Grandpa’s numerous flaws was he allowed anti semitism to thrive under Labour.

you just brought up an entirely separate person and decided i believe the exact opposite of what i'm saying. Idk whether this is hilarious or sad, bye :smile:
Original post by imlikeahermit
1. Tougher sentencing for all crimes, especially burglary. Make life mean life.

2. Repeat offenders who have over 10 short prison terms have their sentences continually increased for repeat petty crimes. For example, the sentence doubles. These repeat offenders only harm others, are of no use to society, and bring nothing but misery to those they affect. The sooner that repeat offenders are locked up for longer, the better. Some people are better off in prison for the safety of wider society.

3. Universal basic income. Get rid of the current benefits system. Cut the ********, cut all the loops. Replace it with a UBI linked to just below the current level of inflation and living wage. Say for example that number is £13,000. Stringent checks in place to make sure that those who are jobless are looking for work, and punishments upon those who refuse to look for work, or drag their heels with the state, eventually leading to prison time if they continue to not make an effort.

I agree with your opinion UBI, but harsher sentencing I disagree on. It's proven that tougher sentences do absolutely nothing to deter crime and if anything, they increase it. Just look at the USA, with one of the highest recidivism rates in the developed world(64% in 2019) and also the fact that it has the highest per-capita incarceration rate in the whole world.

All tougher sentences does it create a loop where inmates go in, they come out, are stigmatised and ostracised by society, can't find work or stable accommodation, then go and commit more crime. It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop. One of the main points of prison is to reform the criminal so they don't commit the act that got them there again. If we focused more on rehabilitation then punishment and torment, it would be better for both society as well as the economy since less taxpayer money would go to the prison-industrial complex. Just look at Norway for example, they reformed their system to focus on rehab and they have one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world at just 20%
1) Rejoin the EU or at least the EEA and restore freedom of movement and single market.
2) Legalise E scooters
3) All local newspaper archives going back at least 40 years must be digitised and available online.
4) Bring back low tax for low emissions cars from £0 to £40 per year as it used to be.
5) Affordable houses for everyone.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
you just brought up an entirely separate person and decided i believe the exact opposite of what i'm saying. Idk whether this is hilarious or sad, bye :smile:

Are you off to our safe space?
Are you off to our safe space?

I'd assume you are probably somewhere in yours too. You're probably at home, maybe at work.
Or is that not what a safe space is? Im assuming you have some sort of stand your ground laws in the UK?
I'd assume you are probably somewhere in yours too. You're probably at home, maybe at work.
Or is that not what a safe space is? Im assuming you have some sort of stand your ground laws in the UK?

Stand your ground laws?

What are those?
Original post by malacki655
I agree with your opinion UBI, but harsher sentencing I disagree on. It's proven that tougher sentences do absolutely nothing to deter crime and if anything, they increase it. Just look at the USA, with one of the highest recidivism rates in the developed world(64% in 2019) and also the fact that it has the highest per-capita incarceration rate in the whole world.

All tougher sentences does it create a loop where inmates go in, they come out, are stigmatised and ostracised by society, can't find work or stable accommodation, then go and commit more crime. It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop. One of the main points of prison is to reform the criminal so they don't commit the act that got them there again. If we focused more on rehabilitation then punishment and torment, it would be better for both society as well as the economy since less taxpayer money would go to the prison-industrial complex. Just look at Norway for example, they reformed their system to focus on rehab and they have one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world at just 20%

Tougher sentencing creates a loop, you’re right, but that’s only because in some cases some people who should be locked up for life, aren’t. What I’m proposing hasn’t been done before, apart from in dictatorships to some extent, however mine would be less humiliating than that. It’s not a case of shipping the workshy, vagrant or petty criminality in a camp.

I’m proposing essentially a three strikes and your out system. And that isn’t me saying they should rot in squaller on the third time; but it’s about being honest and saying they can’t function in society and are a danger to innocent individuals which is the crux of the matter here.

Funny because places like Norway always get mentioned, but they don’t have the vast petty criminal underclasses that we have.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Well it is from my perspective. Are you familiar with the idea of Fabianism?

Such as? Why not?

Ok but you seem to think that being able to discriminate in your home and presumably personal life is a "positive" fundamental right. What benefits are there to society by allowing a racist not to allow other races into his home?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here:

You appear to view rights as being convenient at a given time or place or/and contingent upon "positive"outcomes. If this isn't your view then please clarify why not?

we may both be the most vile hated pariahs in society but so long as we do not break the law are still subject to the same rights as everyone else even if society doesn't benefit from it.

I think your perception is wrong, then. We've discussed this point enough. We've had equality of opportunity laws for at least 50 years. None of the major political parties are persuing equality of outcome laws. In other words, this isn't a problem to be concerned about.

Businesses do not need to be part of a monopoly to all share discrimination practices. For example, a town could be home to two supermarkets that both refuse to serve black people. A town could also be home to just one supermarket, at which point 'breaking up the monopoly' isn't possible.

"Rights" are what you are allowed to do within law. They're not something immutable and inherent to the universe. Rights people have should be based on what they are about, their positive and negative outcomes and how realistic it would be to make laws on them. I don't think that discriminating in your home is a good thing, but it's relatively inconsequential. Discrimination elsewhere, however, has far greater consequences and hence we should have laws against it.
Stand your ground laws?

What are those?

It means you have the right in your "safe space" like your house or your car, to hurt a trespasser in self defense.
Basically just that you are able to use violence in self defense in your legal "safe space"
I’m proposing essentially a three strikes and your out system. And that isn’t me saying they should rot in squaller on the third time; but it’s about being honest and saying they can’t function in society and are a danger to innocent individuals which is the crux of the matter here.

Funny because places like Norway always get mentioned, but they don’t have the vast petty criminal underclasses that we have.

Would all crimes be considered equal in this system?
Tougher sentencing creates a loop, you’re right, but that’s only because in some cases some people who should be locked up for life, aren’t. What I’m proposing hasn’t been done before, apart from in dictatorships to some extent, however mine would be less humiliating than that. It’s not a case of shipping the workshy, vagrant or petty criminality in a camp.

The 3 strike system is already in the USA and New Zealand it doesn't work. All it does is clog the court system with defendants taking cases to trial in an attempt to avoid life imprisonment, and clog jails with defendants who must be remanded while waiting for these trials because the probability of a life sentence makes them an escape risk. Life imprisonment is also an expensive option, and potentially inefficient given that many prisoners serving these sentences are seniors and therefore both costly to provide health care services to, and statistically at low risk of recidivism. Dependents of prisoners serving long sentences may also become a burden on welfare services.
(edited 3 years ago)
It means you have the right in your "safe space" like your house or your car, to hurt a trespasser in self defense.
Basically just that you are able to use violence in self defense in your legal "safe space"

Do you feel hurt that I highlighted that you called somebody anti Semitic who isn’t?

has that truly upset you? Have you not yet realised that sometimes you may hold a wrong opinion or have been taken in by spurious facts pushed out by others you feel you can trust?
Do you feel hurt that I highlighted that you called somebody anti Semitic who isn’t?

has that truly upset you? Have you not yet realised that sometimes you may hold a wrong opinion or have been taken in by spurious facts pushed out by others you feel you can trust?

pivoted right on back to your argument once you realized that your ad hominem attack didn't work. why in the world would I trust a random stranger on the internet.
Original post by SHallowvale
"Rights" are what you are allowed to do within law. They're not something immutable and inherent to the universe. Rights people have should be based on what they are about, their positive and negative outcomes and how realistic it would be to make laws on them. I don't think that discriminating in your home is a good thing, but it's relatively inconsequential. Discrimination elsewhere, however, has far greater consequences and hence we should have laws against it.

Ok. I respectfully disagree.

I think liberty is an end in itself.
pivoted right on back to your argument once you realized that your ad hominem attack didn't work. why in the world would I trust a random stranger on the internet.

I’m not asking you to. I’m asking you to question and outlandish statement you made.

You’ve said that an individual is an anti Semitic. I’ve asked why you think that and asked you to provide some evidence to back up your assumption.

I’ve posted numerous lectures and interviews he’s given that clearly aren’t anti Semitic.

Have I offended you? Are you upset that I questioned a dubious statement you made?
I’m not asking you to. I’m asking you to question and outlandish statement you made.

You’ve said that an individual is an anti Semitic. I’ve asked why you think that and asked you to provide some evidence to back up your assumption.

I’ve posted numerous lectures and interviews he’s given that clearly aren’t anti Semitic.

Have I offended you? Are you upset that I questioned a dubious statement you made?

I wouldn't call them numerous. I remember one clip where he doesn't directly say he's antisemitic cause people usually don't admit to bigotry on camera when directly prompted.
I vaguely remember another but I can't quite remember the contents of it.

Actually no. If I was offended I'd be a lot nastier than I am now. I think this conversation is at the level of absurd that it's entertaining, but not so absurd that it's frustrating and not so boring that I wouldn't bother to respond.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Ok. I respectfully disagree.

I think liberty is an end in itself.

Why do you disagree? If rights should not be based on those criteria, what should they be based on?

Why should liberty be an end in itself? Don't get me wrong, I think people should have as many rights as possible. That said, certain things should be restricted (even at the expense of liberty) if allowing them would be bad.
Original post by LordBerkut
1. Bringing back the death penalty for premeditated murder, child rape, political corruption and repeated media lying.
2. Create a committee for assessing political corruption, and a super-committee to assess whether the committee is corrupt.
3. End all wars that aren't genuinely defensive.
4. Create re-education/labour camps for persistent offenders/those who make the lives of others misery without actually committing jailable offenses e.g drug addicts leaving needles in common closes/abusive neighbours.
5. The sugar tax being extended to chocolate/biscuits/crisps, while taxing cigarettes to oblivion.

Support all of that other than additional taxes on cigarettes 👍
1. Legalise drugs
2. Legalise prostitution
3. Make euthanasia legal
4. Bring back the death penalty
5. Increase funding for NHS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending