The Student Room Group

Question about Teach First Acceptance

Hi,

I am thinking of applying for TF and wanted to ask if anyone knows how hard it is to be accepted?

I was accepted for a PGCE course last year, but I changed my mind after. Would this possibly be a good sign that I'm likely to be accepted by TF?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Askr
Hi,

I am thinking of applying for TF and wanted to ask if anyone knows how hard it is to be accepted?

I was accepted for a PGCE course last year, but I changed my mind after. Would this possibly be a good sign that I'm likely to be accepted by TF?

From what I have heard, TF can be a bit more picky. It can also be more difficult as they will sometimes only be willing to offer you to train in a subject you don't want to teach (which doesn't really happen with PGCEs). So you might get accepted, but rather than teaching say English, they will want you to teach Maths because you have a B in A-level maths.

However, having been accepted to a PGCE is probably a good indicator that you have a decent chance.

Why do you want to do TF instead of a more traditional route?
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
From what I have heard, TF can be a bit more picky. It can also be more difficult as they will sometimes only be willing to offer you to train in a subject you don't want to teach (which doesn't really happen with PGCEs). So you might get accepted, but rather than teaching say English, they will want you to teach Maths because you have a B in A-level maths.

However, having been accepted to a PGCE is probably a good indicator that you have a decent chance.

Why do you want to do TF instead of a more traditional route?

Thanks for your response. There are a few reasons, but the main one is that Covid has wasted almost a year and I want to get into earning sooner to make up for that, even if it's less pay than as with NQT status.

I wouldn't necessarily mind teaching something other than English depending on what it is. German, R.E or History would also suit well, I just assumed you would need to do it in the same subject as the degree.

As another question: I have a couple of bad GCSE grades in science and art and one bad A-level which I am quite embarrassed about. However, most of my grades were good, My English (which I'd be teaching) grades were always high, my Maths grades were fine and I have changed a lot since those bad grades. Will this count against me even though I'm not applying to teach the subjects with the bad grades?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Askr
Thanks for your response. There are a few reasons, but the main one is that Covid has wasted almost a year and I want to get into earning sooner to make up for that, even if it's less pay than as with NQT status.

I wouldn't necessarily mind teaching something other than English depending on what it is. German, R.E or History would also suit well, I just assumed you would need to do it in the same subject as the degree.

As another question: I have a couple of bad GCSE grades in science and art and one bad A-level which I am quite embarrassed about. However, most of my grades were good, My English (which I'd be teaching) grades were always high, my Maths grades were fine and I have changed a lot since those bad grades. Will this count against me even though I'm not applying to teach the subjects with the bad grades?

I don't know too much about the TF recruitment process, but based on their site, I don't think that should be an issue so long as you've got Cs in Maths and English GCSE. It will depend in part on what else you have to offer, I suppose.

I think there is a TF applicants thread here so maybe you would have some luck going and asking on there too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
I don't know too much about the TF recruitment process, but based on their site, I don't think that should be an issue so long as you've got Cs in Maths and English GCSE. It will depend in part on what else you have to offer, I suppose.

I think there is a TF applicants thread here so maybe you would have some luck going and asking on there too :smile:

Thanks, I did post there but didn't get any reply.

In the competency questions part, I'm considering mentioning those few bad grades and trying to explain how I've moved past them and bettered myself and how I'm much more knowledgable in those areas now, but I'm not sure if this would sound too desperate. Do you think so?
Original post by Askr
Thanks, I did post there but didn't get any reply.

In the competency questions part, I'm considering mentioning those few bad grades and trying to explain how I've moved past them and bettered myself and how I'm much more knowledgable in those areas now, but I'm not sure if this would sound too desperate. Do you think so?

Hm, honestly I would focus on the positives. Assuming you did well in your degree, your A-levels really shouldn’t matter much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending