The Student Room Group

durham or nottingham?

I've heard a lot of negative rumours about durham (classism, snobby etc), and a lot of people say the rumours are true. I'm not sure if Nottingham is academic enough but I like the atmosphere more.
What are you going to study there?
Reply 2
Original post by polscistudent
What are you going to study there?

natural sciences
It's not my field, so take with grain of salt. But I'd say that there's quite a big academic gap between the two, with Durham being much much stronger than Nott. So I'd try to understand how important reputation will be for your own career objectives. It's also relevant whether you intend to progress with PG studies (obviously it's early to say, just your idea at the moment). But it's also true that if you hate the environment, you're less likely to perform well. So if Durham makes you feel miserable, you may choose Nott nonetheless. I'd certainly recommend contacting some students in the two unis (check facebook groups to get contacts).
Original post by sj2587
I've heard a lot of negative rumours about durham (classism, snobby etc), and a lot of people say the rumours are true. I'm not sure if Nottingham is academic enough but I like the atmosphere more.

same, I also want to do natural sciences but idk where to apply, I'm currently in y12 though wbu?
(also i think ucl do natural sciences too)
Reply 5
Original post by polscistudent
It's not my field, so take with grain of salt. But I'd say that there's quite a big academic gap between the two, with Durham being much much stronger than Nott. So I'd try to understand how important reputation will be for your own career objectives. It's also relevant whether you intend to progress with PG studies (obviously it's early to say, just your idea at the moment). But it's also true that if you hate the environment, you're less likely to perform well. So if Durham makes you feel miserable, you may choose Nott nonetheless. I'd certainly recommend contacting some students in the two unis (check facebook groups to get contacts).

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by plshelpmelol
same, I also want to do natural sciences but idk where to apply, I'm currently in y12 though wbu?
(also i think ucl do natural sciences too)

y13

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending