As.1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Please refer to the attachment.
Not too sure why they do 12x5x2x25=3000km

If each journey is a round trip meaning to and from school and the total journey for this is 25km, why do they double it?
i.e. shouldn't it be 12x5x25=1500km
Attached files
Last edited by As.1997; 4 months ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Please refer to the attachment.
Not too sure why they do 12x5x2x25=3000km

If each journey is a round trip meaning to and from school and the total journey for this is 25km, why do they double it?
i.e. shouldn't it be 12x5x25=1500km
They're taken to and from school. So, one round trip at the start of the day, and one round trip at the end of the day.
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would assume each car is driven to the school to the kids off in the morning, is driven back home, then has to return in the afternoon to pick them up. So that make two round trips each day.
As.1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
They're taken to and from school. So, one round trip at the start of the day, and one round trip at the end of the day.
Hmm, interesting. Round trip usually means a return is included so a 25km round trip would be to and from school - as far as I understand. But I get why it doesn't mean that in this question. The reason why it is a round trip is not that it is a return it is because the bus will go around the town to the houses of the kids. Hence a round trip to school refers to one trip. Then another round trip is needed from school to home as the bus will go around the town to the houses of the kids.

Would you say this is the correct logic?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 4 months ago
Hmm, interesting. Round trip usually means a return is included so a 25km round trip would be to and from school - as far as I understand. But I get why it doesn't mean that in this question. The reason why it is a round trip is not that it is a return it is because the bus will go around the town to the houses of the kids. Hence a round trip to school refers to one trip. Then another round trip is needed from school to home as the bus will go around the town to the houses of the kids.

Would you say this is the correct logic?
You've changed cars to buses, and that makes it more ambiguous.

Question says "each school journey consists of 25km round trip". At the start of the day, the car takes the kids to school and then returns home. Then at the end of the day, it's driven to the school, picks up the kids and brings them home. Hence the two round trips per day.
Hallouminatus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That sounds about right, although the question is about cars, not buses. They haven't said explicitly what happens to the cars between dropping the kids off in the morning and picking them up in the afternoon. If the car remains parked at school during that time, only one round trip would be made, but if the car is driven back home, that makes two round trips. Real world consideration make the latter seem more probable, but the question should really have made this explicit.
As.1997
Rep:
?
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I think above all it's probably that it says "each school journey consists of a 25km round trip in a town" - here since it is mentioning only "school journey" then 25km refers to the distance from home to school. Therefore, from school to home is 25km. Hence total journey would be 50km per car.
Hallouminatus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

I think above all it's probably that it says "each school journey consists of a 25km round trip in a town" - here since it is mentioning only "school journey" then 25km refers to the distance from home to school. Therefore, from school to home is 25km. Hence total journey would be 50km per car.
I'm sure it doesn't mean that. "Round trip" is never used for A to B, it always includes a return journey. The reason the car travels 50 km is that it makes two round trips.
As.1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hallouminatus)
I'm sure it doesn't mean that. "Round trip" is never used for A to B, it always includes a return journey. The reason the car travels 50 km is that it makes two round trips.
Ahh yes, you are both right. Previously, I just didn't get why you'd have 2 round trips per day but it's probably because people are unlikely to wait the whole day for their kid in a car until school finishes.

Like you said it should have been a bit more explicit but one clue that I've found is that it says "family cars". Though I was completely oblivious to this prior to answering the question.
Last edited by As.1997; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed