Awkward Zoom breakout room group - how to deal with this?

Watch
WCML20
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks to everyone for their advice last week, really appreciated.

I'm convinced that they can't stand me - the format was slightly different today (we had to do some research instead of just discussion) so everyone had to contribute a bit but still tons of awkward silences or one word responses like "OK" or whatever else. I also was a bit opinionated over the topics and whether or not some of them were a good idea to research which maybe rubbed them the wrong way (though I'd say if nobody had any views, things would go nowhere, it is a politics class after all).

There's just such an awkward atmosphere when we're together, nobody seems to have any rapport with each other, they don't show any emotion, they're all as cold as ice, I'm absolutely sick of awkward silences. I'm not looking for lifelong friends but I can't work like this - how can I solve the tension ASAP? They're at least contributing a bit more but it's painful to listen to still. Not like this in any other class ever before - people there at least seemed to be friendly even if they didn't really know you.
Last edited by WCML20; 1 month ago
WCML20
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Now they're taking the essay real seriously with it being nearer. I'm very stressed with a lot going on in my life just now and they're trying to pile on tons of pressure on me as well. I'm trying my best with this.

Still difficult to work with in classes until last week when they ended - cannot wait until it's submitted and I never had to speak to any of them ever again.
Last edited by WCML20; 3 weeks ago
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by WCML20)
Now they're taking the essay real seriously with it being nearer. I'm very stressed with a lot going on in my life just now and they're trying to pile on tons of pressure on me as well. I'm trying my best with this.

Still difficult to work with in classes until last week when they ended - cannot wait until it's submitted and I never had to speak to any of them ever again.
Glad it's almost over, hang in there!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (132)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (398)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (299)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (377)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.08%
Loneliness (229)
8.54%
Financial worries (98)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (141)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (236)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (255)
9.51%

Watched Threads