https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3707028/
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Edemi77)
Which organs are likely to be affected by ADRs
Hi although Cassius Clay has given a link to a very comprehensive, interesting and thorough analysis of idiosyncratic reactions to drugs, it slightly bypasses your Q in that adverse drug reactions are relatively common in comparison to idiosyncratic reactions, and generally ADRs are only rarely linked to genetic factors.

To address your Q specifically, the organs that are highly susceptible to ADRs are the kidneys, brain, heart and liver.

KIDNEYS: a) there are some very intricate mechanisms for excretion/reabsorption processes in the nephron that are easily affected by toxic substances. These include several enzymes and cell structures that can be hit badly by chemicals.
b) The concentrations of some drugs reached in the kidneys, simply out of the need for excretion, can be several hundred-fold those in the systemic circulation, obviously making this organ susceptible.

BRAIN: The neurons in the CNS are very finely-tuned delicate structures that can be tipped towards failure by external chemicals.

HEART: The mechanisms that control the heart rate and force of contraction are very precise and depend on accurate homeostasis e.g. if the K+ level wanders above the upper limit of most hospital labs of 5 mmoles/L OR if it drops below 3.5 mmoles/L, drastic brady- or tachy-arrhythmias, respectively, can occur. Another e.g. is the prolongation of the QTc interval [on the ECG] that can be caused by some drugs, which can lead to torsades de pointes [multifocal VT], which can be fatal.

LIVER: Because everything absorbed in the ileum first reaches the liver via the hepatic portal vein for first-pass metabolism, this places the liver in a precarious position, in spite of its efficiency in dealing with toxins in terms of oxidation and glucuronidation, etc.

I feel that this brief summary might help to resolve your query..

Be safe!

M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (58)
39.73%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.44%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.27%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (16)
10.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (13)
8.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
9.59%

Watched Threads