The Student Room Group

Wordy maths questions.

Hi,

I am a mature student studying the maths syllabus myself.
I am capable of the actual maths but when it is slotted into a wordy question I really struggle.
Can any maths teachers offer advice please?
It’s is questions such as the one I posted below that I just struggle to understand where to start.

Thank you

27706D9B-9D1B-4237-8898-3B2CBC0AC5A3.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
Original post by Chemlovexxx
Hi,

I am a mature student studying the maths syllabus myself.
I am capable of the actual maths but when it is slotted into a wordy question I really struggle.
Can any maths teachers offer advice please?
It’s is questions such as the one I posted below that I just struggle to understand where to start.

Thank you

27706D9B-9D1B-4237-8898-3B2CBC0AC5A3.jpg.jpeg

id love to help but the screenshot is blurry
Thank you.
I’ll repost. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just type it out.
92BA679F-4A84-4385-96FD-C407A4187BF4.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Ally39
id love to help but the screenshot is blurry

Dean has made 30 sandwiches. 7/15 of the sandwiches he has made are vegetarian, and 3/7 of the vegetarian sandwiches are cheese sandwiches.
How many cheese sandwiches has he made?
Reply 5
okay so first see how many sandwiches are vegetarian. (30 times by 7/15) which gives 14 vegetarian sandwiches. then from that 14, 3/7 are cheese. so you need to do 14 times by 3/7 which gives 6 cheese sandwiches at the end.
Reply 6
what you need to do is break it down into parts so its less daunting. try split it and work out the first part first as that will most likely include the answer to the rest of the parts
Original post by Ally39
okay so first see how many sandwiches are vegetarian. (30 times by 7/15) which gives 14 vegetarian sandwiches. then from that 14, 3/7 are cheese. so you need to do 14 times by 3/7 which gives 6 cheese sandwiches at the end.

Ok thank you.

I have quite a few books with practice questions at the end, do you have any advice on how I could get more practice with these sorts of questions they give?
This is something I have never been good at. I can remember a chapter fine but then its slotted into a question I struggle with where to start.
Reply 8
the best way to practise I would say is google something like 'wordy maths questions and answers' including the level at which you're studying it at.
hopefully with more practise you'll be so much better at it! drop me a message if you ever need help:smile:
Original post by Ally39
the best way to practise I would say is google something like 'wordy maths questions and answers' including the level at which you're studying it at.
hopefully with more practise you'll be so much better at it! drop me a message if you ever need help:smile:

Great. Appreciate your help so early in the morning!
Reply 10
its 3:10 where I am hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest