The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

Uni of Chichester or Uni of Salford

hi,
So basically i’ve applied for a music degree starting september 2021, the only issue is that i’m not really fussed on any of my choices. I recently found uni of chichester’s music course and fell completely in love with it, so therefore i am considering rejecting all my offers and applying to uni of chi through UCAS extra as i didn’t initially apply there.... i know i’m insane.

I was just wondering whether there is anyone studying music at either of these uni’s and could give me a bit of insight into courses etc.

With chi also i’m a bit apprehensive that going from living in a city to a relatively small town will be a really rough transition, could someone tell me what social life is like? and is there much there retail wise?

Thank you!!
Hi I don’t know anything about the course but I’ve lived in chi my whole life. There isn’t much retail wise especially since a few places have closed recently - it feels like it’s mostly coffee shops and restaurants if I’m being honest, you’ve got a new look, H&M, next, boots, Superdrug and poundland. Also some other shops obviously too. I typically go shopping in either Portsmouth or Southampton if I actually want something.
As for the social life, there are quite a few pubs & every Thursday (before the pandemic) The Vestry held a student night - it’s not a club so don’t expect much and it’s not great but if you bring a bunch of friends you can make it fun. As far as I know the student union (WISHE) can be fun though (haven’t experienced myself though as I don’t go to the uni).
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Reply 2
Original post by sophbrand31
Hi I don’t know anything about the course but I’ve lived in chi my whole life. There isn’t much retail wise especially since a few places have closed recently - it feels like it’s mostly coffee shops and restaurants if I’m being honest, you’ve got a new look, H&M, next, boots, Superdrug and poundland. Also some other shops obviously too. I typically go shopping in either Portsmouth or Southampton if I actually want something.
As for the social life, there are quite a few pubs & every Thursday (before the pandemic) The Vestry held a student night - it’s not a club so don’t expect much and it’s not great but if you bring a bunch of friends you can make it fun. As far as I know the student union (WISHE) can be fun though (haven’t experienced myself though as I don’t go to the uni).

ahh okays! ty so much for your help! i’m not really big of nightclubs and stuff anyway, much more suited to small bars and pubs ahahaha!

How far away is portsmouth etc from chi? is there public transport to get there?
Nice! Would be great for you then, I like the pubs here. Definitely check out the Chantry, it’s one of my fav pubs & they do a great breakfast too for those early mornings.
There’s a train to Portsmouth and I think a bus too but it’s most likely more expensive and takes longer than the train. I know there’s a uni hall (not sure what the name of it is though) like 5 mins walk away from both the stations too (they are next to each other). The train only takes half hour & there’s usually one like every 20/30 mins:smile:
Reply 4
Nice! Would be great for you then, I like the pubs here. Definitely check out the Chantry, it’s one of my fav pubs & they do a great breakfast too for those early mornings.
There’s a train to Portsmouth and I think a bus too but it’s most likely more expensive and takes longer than the train. I know there’s a uni hall (not sure what the name of it is though) like 5 mins walk away from both the stations too (they are next to each other). The train only takes half hour & there’s usually one like every 20/30 mins:smile:

awe thank you so much for all your help lovely!
really put my mind at ease!

Sorry for all the questions and this may seem like a particularly strange one😂 but what supermarkets is there? i’m only really concerned if there’s like an aldi and maybe a big tesco’s or something along them lines?

Thanks gorgeous x
Original post by ljshaw_
awe thank you so much for all your help lovely!
really put my mind at ease!

Sorry for all the questions and this may seem like a particularly strange one😂 but what supermarkets is there? i’m only really concerned if there’s like an aldi and maybe a big tesco’s or something along them lines?

Thanks gorgeous x

No worries! Yep there’s a Aldi, Lidl, Iceland food warehouse, Tesco & a Sainsbury’s too. Also there’s a Tesco express & smaller Iceland in the centre of town too. Many corner shops scattered across everywhere else too if you needed something without travelling too far :smile:
Reply 6
No worries! Yep there’s a Aldi, Lidl, Iceland food warehouse, Tesco & a Sainsbury’s too. Also there’s a Tesco express & smaller Iceland in the centre of town too. Many corner shops scattered across everywhere else too if you needed something without travelling too far :smile:

thank you so much for all your help lovely!!!
much appreciated xxxx
Original post by ljshaw_
hi,
So basically i’ve applied for a music degree starting september 2021, the only issue is that i’m not really fussed on any of my choices. I recently found uni of chichester’s music course and fell completely in love with it, so therefore i am considering rejecting all my offers and applying to uni of chi through UCAS extra as i didn’t initially apply there.... i know i’m insane.

I was just wondering whether there is anyone studying music at either of these uni’s and could give me a bit of insight into courses etc.

With chi also i’m a bit apprehensive that going from living in a city to a relatively small town will be a really rough transition, could someone tell me what social life is like? and is there much there retail wise?

Thank you!!

Hey,

Don't worry, we don't think you're insane at all!

Although Chichester is a smaller city, it still has lots to offer. We have lots of pubs, restaurants and bars as well as an Entertainment Complex, Chichester Gate. We have all the big name retail shops you would expect to see in any other city as well as a selection of independent retailers. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the transport links from Chichester are really good. Chichester train station is only a 15 minute walk from campus and it doesn't take long to get to Brighton (59 mins), Portsmouth (20 mins) and London (1hour30mins).

Another point worth mentioning is that we are super close to the beach (perfect for summer evenings!) West Wittering is a gorgeous white sand beach and East Witterings beach is a pebble beach with independent shops, bars and restaurants leading up to the beachfront.

Our Students' Union always work really hard to put a range of events and entertainment. Past events (pre-COVID) include club and theme nights, comedy, live bands, open mic, quiz nights, movie nights, and larger events such as, Charity Rag Race, Graduation Ball and Summer Ball.

There is always something going on!

Don't just take our word for it, you can chat to our students via Unibuddy and ask them questions about student life, course experiences, social life etc. Visit https://www.chi.ac.uk/search/course-search/chat-our-students :smile:

I hope this helps, give us a shout if you have any questions!

Thanks, Sian
Reply 8
Original post by University of Chichester
Hey,

Don't worry, we don't think you're insane at all!

Although Chichester is a smaller city, it still has lots to offer. We have lots of pubs, restaurants and bars as well as an Entertainment Complex, Chichester Gate. We have all the big name retail shops you would expect to see in any other city as well as a selection of independent retailers. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the transport links from Chichester are really good. Chichester train station is only a 15 minute walk from campus and it doesn't take long to get to Brighton (59 mins), Portsmouth (20 mins) and London (1hour30mins).

Another point worth mentioning is that we are super close to the beach (perfect for summer evenings!) West Wittering is a gorgeous white sand beach and East Witterings beach is a pebble beach with independent shops, bars and restaurants leading up to the beachfront.

Our Students' Union always work really hard to put a range of events and entertainment. Past events (pre-COVID) include club and theme nights, comedy, live bands, open mic, quiz nights, movie nights, and larger events such as, Charity Rag Race, Graduation Ball and Summer Ball.

There is always something going on!

Don't just take our word for it, you can chat to our students via Unibuddy and ask them questions about student life, course experiences, social life etc. Visit https://www.chi.ac.uk/search/course-search/chat-our-students :smile:

I hope this helps, give us a shout if you have any questions!

Thanks, Sian

Ahh,
thanks so much, I firmed chi not that long ago so shall see you all in sept!
:smile:
Original post by ljshaw_
Ahh,
thanks so much, I firmed chi not that long ago so shall see you all in sept!
:smile:

That's great to hear! We can't wait to see you soon! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending