The Student Room Group

Why am I getting stretch marks?

I'm not super fussed but obviously not ideal.

I'm 22, male, and I think they've been popping up more frequently and getting a bit larger recently on my inner thighs.

Was super active in uni and when lockdown hit (have graduated now) I'm not doing an awful lot at home.

Would be lying if I said I'm in as good a shape as I was back then but have only put on a little weight.

I've only seen that causes are puberty, inherited (in terms of likelihood of having them), some weightlifting related stuff and 'rapid' weight gain.

Though I've gained a little weight, certainly doesn't come close to rapid weight gain?

Re home exercise I've mostly done hula hooping, dumbbells, press ups, squats and karate.

Since I haven't rapidly put a lot of weight and it doesn't seem to run in the family, I thought maybe it's the squats, karate kicks and stretching the leg/groin on the staircase (think a ballerina L shape lmao)

Any ideas folks?
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not super fussed but obviously not ideal.

I'm 22, male, and I think they've been popping up more frequently and getting a bit larger recently on my inner thighs.

Was super active in uni and when lockdown hit (have graduated now) I'm not doing an awful lot at home.

Would be lying if I said I'm in as good a shape as I was back then but have only put on a little weight.

I've only seen that causes are puberty, inherited (in terms of likelihood of having them), some weightlifting related stuff and 'rapid' weight gain.

Though I've gained a little weight, certainly doesn't come close to rapid weight gain?

Re home exercise I've mostly done hula hooping, dumbbells, press ups, squats and karate.

Since I haven't rapidly put a lot of weight and it doesn't seem to run in the family, I thought maybe it's the squats, karate kicks and stretching the leg/groin on the staircase (think a ballerina L shape lmao)

Any ideas folks?

I don't think certain movements like squats, karate kicks etc can cause stretch marks.
Stretch marks are always weigh-related.

If you have gained weight, it doesnt have to be much weight to get stretch marks. It's more about how fast the weight goes on rather than the amount of weight.

Honestly, although im a girl, i have stretch marks on my legs, hips etc and i genuinely dont care anymore. There are worse things to have.
So like don't worry about them. They are normal, even in men. My ex-boyfriend had loads from rapid growth during puberty. Just focus on being healthy and fk the stretch marks.
Reply 3
I don't think certain movements like squats, karate kicks etc can cause stretch marks.

If you have gained weight, it doesnt have to be much weight to get stretch marks. It's more about how fast the weight goes on rather than the amount of weight.

Honestly, although im a girl, i have stretch marks on my legs, hips etc and i genuinely dont care anymore. There are worse things to have.
So like don't worry about them. They are normal, even in men. My ex-boyfriend had loads from rapid growth during puberty. Just focus on being healthy and fk the stretch marks.

Haha, thanks for that. Tbh I don't really care either, but just thought if there was something I was doing that I could change then I might as well. You know?

All my exercise bar some workouts were via sport which I can't do in lockdown, getting an exercise bike and have started using some bio-oil so hopefully, that does a job too.

Stay cool 👉🏽

They can be height related.
Yeah stretch marks can be due to loads of reasons, rapid weight gain or loss, growing too fast, basically anything that over stretches the skin. The best thing that you can do is just embrace them!
Yeah stretch marks can be due to loads of reasons, rapid weight gain or loss, growing too fast, basically anything that over stretches the skin. The best thing that you can do is just embrace them!

Yes.
OP or anyone wondering -
I've gotten stretch marks from puberty on my thighs, hips, bum, breast (grew and gained some weight)
and I've gotten stretch marks from losing weight on my knees. (about 20 pounds)
Don't be ashamed of your stretch marks and scars they are completely normal body reactions, no different than getting a cavity.

Quick Reply

Latest