800 calories

Watch
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
A calorie deficit can be obtained by burning off calories, not just cutting them out of your diet. Why do health websites refer to starvation mode, aka adaptive thermogenesis?
Yes, I know that. I didn’t say otherwise. I thought you meant that a calorie deficit wasnt the only way to lose weight but I understand what you meant now.

health websites also refer to foods that burn fat, detoxes, cleanses, somatotypes, spot reduction etc etc etc. It doesn’t mean it’s correct.
rachaelv
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Strange, someone asked the question using the exact figures you did.

However, you're still avoiding the big issue of what is your BMI and why do you want to change?
If I calculated it right, my BMI is 19.6. I want to change so that I feel more confident in my own body
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rachaelv)
No I don't think I've asked this....I've mostly asked school related questions. I've never had that experience before, I've always been a size 10 in every shop I've been to
Eating less calories is not a good way to lose weight at all. As people have said, it's very unhealthy but from a weight loss point of view it will make your metabolism much slower meaning that you'll start putting on weight from eating the smallest amount of food, which will make things even worse in the long run. The best way to lose weight is to replace all your meals with healthy foods with little to no fat (but make sure you keep at 2000 calories) and continue to do exercise everyday.
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chloenix)
Eating less calories is not a good way to lose weight at all. As people have said, it's very unhealthy but from a weight loss point of view it will make your metabolism much slower meaning that you'll start putting on weight from eating the smallest amount of food, which will make things even worse in the long run. The best way to lose weight is to replace all your meals with healthy foods with little to no fat (but make sure you keep at 2000 calories) and continue to do exercise everyday.
Little to no fat so that you can’t digest micronutrients, become nutrient deficient and encounter hormone regulation problems. What great advice.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
Little to no fat so that you can’t digest micronutrients, become nutrient deficient and encounter hormone regulation problems. What great advice.
We get it, you're a nutritionist!
Unlike you, most people are not so when I say 'fat', OP, me, and about 90% of people will think of chocolate, crisps, basically junk food. OP will still consume fat in their diet so it's not really a problem is it.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unlike you, most people are not so when I say 'fat', OP, me, and about 90% of people will think of chocolate, crisps, basically junk food. OP will still consume fat in their diet so it's not really a problem is it.
Little to no implies close to 0g of fat, be clearer next time. Eating less kcalories is the only way to lose weight, swapping hyper-palatable foods for more filling foods will cause you to eat less kcalories and thus lose weight. Furthermore, starvation mode doesn't exist, your metabolism cannot slow that much to the point where eating 'the tiniest bit of food' will make you gain weight.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rachaelv)
If I calculated it right, my BMI is 19.6. I want to change so that I feel more confident in my own body
You shouldn't be trying to lose weight.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Little to no implies close to 0g of fat, be clearer next time. Eating less kcalories is the only way to lose weight, swapping hyper-palatable foods for more filling foods will cause you to eat less kcalories and thus lose weight. Furthermore, starvation mode doesn't exist, your metabolism cannot slow that much to the point where eating 'the tiniest bit of food' will make you gain weight.
Yes perhaps I should've been clearer, I'll take that. What I did to lose a lot of weight was exercise daily, eat healthier foods and completely cut any junk food out of my diet as well as eat the number of calories that is recommended for my BMI if I need to lose weight. Telling OP to cut down on calories isn't the best advice in my opinion and from experience, that kind of mindset leads to the very dangerous risk of EDs. Also, as someone who has a sister who used to have an ED, I can tell you for sure that at the worst point of it, her metabolism was incredibly slow which made things very difficult for her.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes perhaps I should've been clearer, I'll take that. What I did to lose a lot of weight was exercise daily, eat healthier foods and completely cut any junk food out of my diet as well as eat the number of calories that is recommended for my BMI if I need to lose weight. Telling OP to cut down on calories isn't the best advice in my opinion and from experience, that kind of mindset leads to the very dangerous risk of EDs. Also, as someone who has a sister who used to have an ED, I can tell you for sure that at the worst point of it, her metabolism was incredibly slow which made things very difficult for her.
Yes thats fair. I disagree with people telling OP to cut kcals bc they have a BMI of 19.6. That is an anecdote and is not supported by the literature.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes thats fair. I disagree with people telling OP to cut kcals bc they have a BMI of 19.6. That is an anecdote and is not supported by the literature.
Oh gosh, I didn't see that but yes, sounds a bit dangerous to go too much further, to be honest. Exercise is always healthy so you can do that, but don't cut kcals.
And do you mean the slow metabolism thing? I'm not a professional but when I was trying to lose weight I went to a nutritionist who gave me this information and advised me not to cut a lot of calories for extended periods of time because it'll lower my metabolism (as well as other reasons). I found this Healthline article: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2 about it too, and there were loads more if you type it in. Obviously, I wouldn't use a random online article as my sole form of evidence, but that along with what my nutritionist said, and my sister's experience is enough to convince me to be honest.
Cubcub99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ella.saunders93)
Please don't eat just 800 calories, that's really unhealthy and can cause you more harm than good in the long run. If you keep eating low calories, your body will feel that you're not eating/getting enough food and you can go into starvation mode, which is when your body will store all the fat that you gain when eating. Don't reduce your calories to such a low amount, it's very unhealthy and will do you more harm!

I was a bit overweight and I lost 17kg by using a similar method to you but with my drastic weight loss, came a huge price. I was depriving myself/lacking so many vital nutrients (due to eating barely any food and a very low amount of calories) and it caused me health issues in which at one time I fainted! When I went to the doctor, he said it was because I had an extremely low level of iron count in my body so I was very very very anemic and it caused me to be light headed very often and not even have enough energy to walk for like more than 5mins at best.

I've started eating more and was prescribed iron tablets and now I feel much better and healthier. Please don't reduce your diet to just 800 calories, it's very dangerous and unhealthy. Just cut out fast food and stick to healthy food, you will lose weight believe me because healthy food doesn't have such a high amount of fatst like fast food does.
Starvation mode is a myth. Otherwise prisoners who are starved would all be fat. Your metabolism does slow down once you lose weight. Eating 800 is pretty low and you will get obsessed with food. Eating 1200 is a low but will help you lose weight quickly. You probably won't die on 800 cals a day but it's not very nice and you will feel *****y. Maybe do intermittent fasting and eat 800 calories once or twice a week. But otherwise eat 1200 and light exercise to stop you running out of energy and feeling like sh*t
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cubcub99)
Starvation mode is a myth. Otherwise prisoners who are starved would all be fat. Your metabolism does slow down once you lose weight. Eating 800 is pretty low and you will get obsessed with food. Eating 1200 is a low but will help you lose weight quickly. You probably won't die on 800 cals a day but it's not very nice and you will feel *****y. Maybe do intermittent fasting and eat 800 calories once or twice a week. But otherwise eat 1200 and light exercise to stop you running out of energy and feeling like sh*t
Maybe don't encourage a teenager who has a 19.6 BMI to cut down on calories so drastically?
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think it’s best to err on the side of caution and be clearer anyway. If OP did interpret what you said as cutting all fat, not just fatty foods, then they’d end up with health problems. Better to be safe than sorry. I understand you had good intentions, it’s nothing personal.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh gosh, I didn't see that but yes, sounds a bit dangerous to go too much further, to be honest. Exercise is always healthy so you can do that, but don't cut kcals.
And do you mean the slow metabolism thing? I'm not a professional but when I was trying to lose weight I went to a nutritionist who gave me this information and advised me not to cut a lot of calories for extended periods of time because it'll lower my metabolism (as well as other reasons). I found this Healthline article: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2 about it too, and there were loads more if you type it in. Obviously, I wouldn't use a random online article as my sole form of evidence, but that along with what my nutritionist said, and my sister's experience is enough to convince me to be honest.
Yes cutting a lot of kcalories by a large amount is never recommended for a whole host of reasons a small deficit of 500kcals is good for most people. I think there was a misunderstanding here, I assumed you were talking about 'starvation mode' which does not exist. I agree cutting kcals by a large amount will cause your metabolism to slow down bc your non exercise activity thermogenesis is extremely low.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
I think it’s best to err on the side of caution and be clearer anyway. If OP did interpret what you said as cutting all fat, not just fatty foods, then they’d end up with health problems. Better to be safe than sorry. I understand you had good intentions, it’s nothing personal.
Yes, for sure. OP listen to this it's good advice ^
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes cutting a lot of kcalories by a large amount is never recommended for a whole host of reasons a small deficit of 500kcals is good for most people. I think there was a misunderstanding here, I assumed you were talking about 'starvation mode' which does not exist. I agree cutting kcals by a large amount will cause your metabolism to slow down bc your non exercise activity thermogenesis is extremely low.
Yes I agree. And no I wasn't talking about starvation mode but I see where the confusion may have come from. In general, cutting calories to an extremely low amount for a long period of time is just not a good idea!
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes I agree. And no I wasn't talking about starvation mode but I see where the confusion may have come from. In general, cutting calories to an extremely low amount for a long period of time is just not a good idea!
Agreed.
Koyo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Starqxu)
I wouldnt worry about that, a size 10 is a perfect and healthy siTze! Id love to be a size 10 haha. But 800 calories? Thats really unhealthy, a person should eat at least 2000 a day! You really dont need to lose weight being a size 10. You're eating less than a baby, and i speak from experience but please eat more than this. I started eating around this much and it went out of control and i was taken into hospital. I understand if you feel like you want to lose weight, i get you. But you really dont need to. But if you decide to ignore this then please just eat more because this is worse for you. Stay safe
This is a misconception!! 2,000 calories a day is the *recommended* intake for an *average* adult. It's not a minimum amount by any means, because some people don't need to eat as much as others. An average adult is somewhere between a man and a woman, is of average height and weight and is moderately active. If you're a small, inactive woman, you will probably gain weight at 2,000 calories (I know I do). For me, around 1,600-1,700 calories is maintenance level, but I can eat more if I exercise more. When I diet (I always gain weight when I live with my parents), I go down to about 1,300 if I'm not working out.

But I otherwise agree, no one should limit themselves to 800 calories to lose weight. It's unsustainable and you will yo-yo as soon as you raise it again, which will just be frustrating for you OP. You should reconsider. Focus more on getting as close as you can to a balanced diet. Strength exercises are also great for slimming and toning if that's what you want. But you'll need to eat more if you go down that road!
Last edited by Koyo; 3 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What types of food, snacks and drinks do you consume? :confused:
How much daily exercise do you do and what type of exercises?

I wouldn't recommend aiming to restrict daily calorie intake to below 900 calories more than twice a week.
Better to: increase the amount of daily exercises you do, drink more unflavoured water, consider intermittent fasting, homecook almost all your meals, restrict all snacks to nuts/a piece of fruit/small raw salad, consume meals twice a day as reasonably sized portions served with a small freshly prepared raw veg salad with no added cheese/mayonnaise/ketchup.

I'm 26, 5'1, size 8 and the same weight I was as a 13 year old.
My daily calorie intake is generally between 750-950.
I do frequent daily exercise, drink lots of water, eat twice a day, homecook almost all my meals from scratch, love spicy chilli hot foods and enjoy spirits & cocktails.
Make my own chocolates a couple of times a month and eat a restaurant meal a few times a year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%