The Student Room Group

I'm on the first year of a 2 year BTEC that I don't want to be doing, what do I do?

I'm 17, turning 18 in may this year and I'm stuck on the first year of a BTEC course I don't want to be doing. If I drop out of the course at the end of this year I will have wasted an entire year gaining no extra qualifications and I'll be 18 so going on to do the a levels I want to do will cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't apply for the university degree I want to do with the qualifications I'll get from this course. What should I do?
Original post by Monixwastaken
I'm 17, turning 18 in may this year and I'm stuck on the first year of a BTEC course I don't want to be doing. If I drop out of the course at the end of this year I will have wasted an entire year gaining no extra qualifications and I'll be 18 so going on to do the a levels I want to do will cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't apply for the university degree I want to do with the qualifications I'll get from this course. What should I do?

Have you look around for any colleges that provide A levels and allow you to start at 18?

Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship?
Some university degrees don't ask for any specific subjects so you may be able to get into something completely unrelated with your BTEC. However, if you do decide to drop it then you could do an Access to HE course which you can start from age 19+ and that can get you into a wider range of courses and I think these courses are, or at least can be, free. You'd need something to do in the meantime so an apprenticeship would be a good idea and you could earn some money while figuring out what it is that you want to do.
Original post by Starlight15
Have you look around for any colleges that provide A levels and allow you to start at 18?

Have you thought about doing an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships is not something I've considered much thus far, I'll have a look into them.

As for other colleges that do A levels for people over 18 I've had a look but I can't find any that say anything explicitly about it on their website. I'll try contacting some of them directly about it.
Access to Higher Education is over over 19, my dad did one.

Stick to the BTEC unless you are 19 and over

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending