The Student Room Group

A level choices help please?

So I have to choose my A level choices and I would like to become an engineer in the future, the ones I am interested in is
Maths
Physics
Design and Technology
Chemistry
My school offers Further Maths but it is advised for people who are in the top set. I intend to go to a big uni such as Imperial College London but I'm just so conflicted as I feel like doing Further Maths will be extremely difficult as I have not did it before and I don't consistently get 8/9s in my exams.

Also, if I do decide to go for 3 A levels, I'm not sure if I will be good at physics since i find that a bit difficult to understand currently and also, I'm not sure which to pick between Design adn Technology or Chemistry as my 3rd option?

Please help
Thank you
Original post by Interesting name
So I have to choose my A level choices and I would like to become an engineer in the future, the ones I am interested in is
Maths
Physics
Design and Technology
Chemistry
My school offers Further Maths but it is advised for people who are in the top set. I intend to go to a big uni such as Imperial College London but I'm just so conflicted as I feel like doing Further Maths will be extremely difficult as I have not did it before and I don't consistently get 8/9s in my exams.

Also, if I do decide to go for 3 A levels, I'm not sure if I will be good at physics since i find that a bit difficult to understand currently and also, I'm not sure which to pick between Design adn Technology or Chemistry as my 3rd option?

Please help
Thank you

First off, I would recommend that you pick 3 alevels, 4 alevels may mean you have "less time" to revise and struggle with the workload. If you are keen on going to imperial check their entry requirements, i.e. do they prefer if applicants who have further maths in addition? It should say which alevels they prefer too.
I would recommend picking subjects that you genuinely like as well- don't forget you will be stuck with these subjects for another 2 years!!! So be wise when selecting alevels.
Maths
Physics
Design and Technology
Chemistry

Please help
Thank you

I do econ, maths n further, it is very difficult, however for a top university like imperial college, it'll be worth taking further maths. Even getting a B in further maths is a very good grade and if your course doesn't say it requires further maths, top unis will often say it's advised to take it if it's relevant to your course. so if you take it as "extra credit" it's good but beware the workload is immense. Depending on the course, it may or may not be necessary, but I say if your skl offers an AS in further, take it.
Reply 3
Maths
Physics
Design and Technology
Chemistry

Please help
Thank you

Just a small comment, physics is, objectively, the hardest a-level.

I don't mean to put you down but I know people that got 9s in GCSE physics and had to drop it at a-level because they found it so hard.

Unless its a subject in which you have a true passion and are currently working your absolute socks off for a 7,8,9 I wouldn't recommend taking it at a-level.

However, If you do have a passion, and take a real interest in physics then go for it! I'm sure you'll work very hard, as it is needed if you want to do well!

Imperial is a great college for engineering. One of my classmates wants to go to imperial next year for engineering and his entry requirements are A* A A (in maths, physics and computer science).
Original post by 9109
Just a small comment, physics is, objectively, the hardest a-level.

I don't mean to put you down but I know people that got 9s in GCSE physics and had to drop it at a-level because they found it so hard.

Unless its a subject in which you have a true passion and are currently working your absolute socks off for a 7,8,9 I wouldn't recommend taking it at a-level.

However, If you do have a passion, and take a real interest in physics then go for it! I'm sure you'll work very hard, as it is needed if you want to do well!

Imperial is a great college for engineering. One of my classmates wants to go to imperial next year for engineering and his entry requirements are A* A A (in maths, physics and computer science).

in year 12 I did 4 econ, maths, further and physics. I got A*ACC with the Cs in further and physics (bare in mind the only "revision" I did was classwork and homework) . Recently got my year 13 Jan mocks back and got A*A*A, dropped physics and the A is in further and I did a LOT of revision. Take four if you're willing to put the work in.
Reply 5
Original post by 14siullah
in year 12 I did 4 econ, maths, further and physics. I got A*ACC with the Cs in further and physics (bare in mind the only "revision" I did was classwork and homework) . Recently got my year 13 Jan mocks back and got A*A*A, dropped physics and the A is in further and I did a LOT of revision. Take four if you're willing to put the work in.

Exactly. Random fact, my further maths teacher was Cambridge university's first female boxer; she took 6 A-levels and achieved AAAAAA.
Original post by 9109
Exactly. Random fact, my further maths teacher was Cambridge university's first female boxer; she took 6 A-levels and achieved AAAAAA.

That's mad

Quick Reply

Latest