Why have elections been made into 5 year terms?

Watch
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was reading the scotch devolution thread and saw that it has been 5 years since their last election and they have changed it to this from 4 year terms when no one was looking.
The same election term meddling has happened to England when they removed the ability for the government to call an election when they wanted to.
My question is why did they choose to change to 5 years for both parliaments and why is it 5 years?
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
I was reading the scotch devolution thread and saw that it has been 5 years since their last election and they have changed it to this from 4 year terms when no one was looking.
The same election term meddling has happened to England when they removed the ability for the government to call an election when they wanted to.
My question is why did they choose to change to 5 years for both parliaments and why is it 5 years?
Scottish.

Scotch is a drink.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because in the UK the Lib Dem's wanted to prevent the Tories dumping them in the coalition.

In Scotland the less elections the SNP have to destroy the union, the better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%