Dr jekyll and hyde

Watch this thread
goldenpuppy
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Dr Jekyll and Hyde chapter 4

"but he answered never a word"

Could someone analysis this in DETAIL cause I'm really stuck thank you.
Last edited by goldenpuppy; 1 year ago
e13_555
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
When analysing quotes from a book, it’s normally helpful to first look at individual words, and then phrases that may allude to a deeper meaning in the text.

For example:
‘But’ - coordinating conjunction attempts to clarify ambiguity (of Hyde?) but this is contradicted by the fact that he answered ‘never a word’. The lack of verbal communication from Hyde only increases this sense of unclarity. The conflict within this phrase could reflect the fight in Victorian gentlemen to repress their immoral desires.
‘Answered never’ - unnatural phrasing may allude to the abnormal, uncomfortable nature of Hyde (as he is a manifestation of the Victorian gentleman’s repressed ‘darker’ desires).

After, it’s useful to link back to any points that the author (Stevenson) may have wanted to put across, e.g. through this phrase, Stevenson may have wanted to emphasise the internal conflict which can be hidden in anyone, even those of a great reputation (Dr Jekyll).

And then link to the general context of the time that the book was written in, or how Victorian readers may have seen the phrase- for example, would have Victorian readers found the fact that Hyde did not speak a word to Sir Danvers Carew odd? Could this reflect this secrecy that was rampant at the time, because words are seen by many to be a window to the soul?

Hope I was able to help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads