Is Physics A-Levels harder than Maths A-Levels?

Watch
uwuraraka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Basically I wasn't thinking on taking any sciences for A-Levels but according to the teachers in my Year 12, they advised me to take at least one science or atleast Maths and looking through my GCE O-Levels results, Physics is my highest with just a C5 while others i got a C6. Asking some of my seniors, they've told me that I should've taken Maths instead of Physics so I kind of regretting my choices now. Also, the Physics' teacher in my Year 12 have warned me that I will struggle with my results. So, back to the question, is Physics really is harder than Maths? If yes, any advice?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
When I was doing my A Levels for the first time, my friends who did both showed most got Bs in physics but Cs in maths. So maths is harder?

Having said that, they say physics at uni is on a completely different level to that at A Level, and it's more often than not harder at degree level than maths at degree level.

Don't get me wrong, both require a lot of work to get high marks. So long you enjoy them, then they will get you far.

I don't know whether it was a mistake to choose maths instead of physics. Maths will open more doors at uni (usually), but physics is required for most quantitative scientific degrees.

I'm currently in the process of redoing my Maths A Level to do a physics related degree at uni.
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I only did AS Level maths so my view is restricted. I have also done A Level Physics.

Hardness depends on what you mean. Harder to understand? Harder to solve? Harder to score marks in?

-I would say concept wise, Physics is harder to wrap your head around.
- In terms of the mathematical difficulty, Maths obviously is harder. The math required for A Level Physics is basic. In terms of questions, Math questions are slightly harder than Physics I'd say...
- Harder to score in? People usually marginally receive higher grades in Maths than Physics...

On the whole, I'd imagine both Math and Physics go parallel. Physics requires a little more work than Maths imo.
Last edited by qwert7890; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
38.89%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (2)
11.11%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
5.56%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
16.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
16.67%

Watched Threads