Muhammad AB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Need help about PhD interview. How to prepare a PhD interview?? What types questions they asked?
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Muhammad AB)
Need help about PhD interview. How to prepare a PhD interview?? What types questions they asked?
Hi Muhammad AB

I'm a PhD History student at the University of Hull.

Depending on whether you have proposed the research project or applied for a set project will to an extent determine the types of questions which they may ask.
Questions may include things along the lines of:
Why do you wish to study a PhD?
Why are you interested in this project?
They may also ask you questions about the discipline/sub-discipline/or disciplines which the research is associated with e.g. History / Historical Geography for example.
They may ask you about previous research which you have conducted at Undergraduate / Masters level

These are just a few of the potential questions you might be asked.

My best advice would be to know the research project and what is involved in it

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Muhammad AB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi Muhammad AB

I'm a PhD History student at the University of Hull.

Depending on whether you have proposed the research project or applied for a set project will to an extent determine the types of questions which they may ask.
Questions may include things along the lines of:
Why do you wish to study a PhD?
Why are you interested in this project?
They may also ask you questions about the discipline/sub-discipline/or disciplines which the research is associated with e.g. History / Historical Geography for example.
They may ask you about previous research which you have conducted at Undergraduate / Masters level

These are just a few of the potential questions you might be asked.

My best advice would be to know the research project and what is involved in it

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Thanks Emily for sharing
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Muhammad AB)
You should have a decent level of background knowledge on the area of the field.
also be pretty comfortable answering why this PhD is interesting and why it needs to be investigated.
also read up on the supervisors research.

be comfortable discussing your interests in the field, your previous experience, any research you’ve done on masters or undergrad (i.e. dissertation). Have examples of you showing competence at working well by yourself, in teams, stressful situations, finding answers to confusing situations.
Muhammad AB
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
You should have a decent level of background knowledge on the area of the field.
also be pretty comfortable answering why this PhD is interesting and why it needs to be investigated.
also read up on the supervisors research.

be comfortable discussing your interests in the field, your previous experience, any research you’ve done on masters or undergrad (i.e. dissertation). Have examples of you showing competence at working well by yourself, in teams, stressful situations, finding answers to confusing situations.
Thanks mnot for valuable advice😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads