Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
what’s the difference between standard and enhanced rooms? I understand that enhanced are a bit larger but are they any newer or anything? or is the difference literally just the size? I went to see some really nice new halls in glen eyre which were “category 1” but i don’t know if this was just for show and the other category 1 rooms are older or a bit worse for wear. I’ve got ocd about grubby sinks so i’m quite keen to have a newer bathroom so i don’t know whether to go for an encanced shared bathroom and run the risk of the sink in my room being grimy or go for a standard en suite where the bathroom would probably be older but at least I could shut it away when i’m not using it? hope that doesn’t sound too weird !?!
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what’s the difference between standard and enhanced rooms? I understand that enhanced are a bit larger but are they any newer or anything? or is the difference literally just the size? I went to see some really nice new halls in glen eyre which were “category 1” but i don’t know if this was just for show and the other category 1 rooms are older or a bit worse for wear. I’ve got ocd about grubby sinks so i’m quite keen to have a newer bathroom so i don’t know whether to go for an encanced shared bathroom and run the risk of the sink in my room being grimy or go for a standard en suite where the bathroom would probably be older but at least I could shut it away when i’m not using it? hope that doesn’t sound too weird !?!
Hi Anonymous,

From my experience of visiting friends' rooms in first year, whether or not the enhanced rooms are bigger depends on the individual room. Some enhanced rooms are just larger and seem very similar to the standard rooms while others look a bit newer and trendier. I'm not sure where these distinctions come from so it would be best to take a look online and compare individual rooms for yourself; for example, you can compare Glen Eyre rooms here: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studen...alls/glen-eyre

I would say that typically the show rooms are exactly what you would be getting. They do not show 'special' rooms that are better than 'normal' rooms, though sometimes these rooms aren't lived in so it may have been decorated to look nice. But in that situation, the only thing stopping your room from looking as nice is the way you decorate it.

My experience in halls first year was that I applied for Glen Eyre and was placed in Hartley Grove, which is the same general area but was built a little later than the rest of Glen Eyre. I opted for an ensuite as the idea of sharing a bathroom with strangers made me very nervous and I'm really glad I made that decision. The bathroom was small but cosy, the floor was an interesting material that felt very clean to me, and the sink, shower and toilet were all perfectly clean when I moved in. I am also a bit wary about cleanliness of things that belonged to other people but I felt very comfortable in the halls I was placed.

Megan
4th year physics student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.74%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (12)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
10.96%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (28)
38.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
16.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed