AimeeOceann
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I've got to make my advanced higher choices soon and was wondering what I should take. Personally I loved higher geography, chemistry and biology, and I'll definitely be taking AH biology and AH geography....however I'm not sure about chemistry, is there a lot of maths involved? how hard exactly is it? I would love to take it but want to make sure that I'm not digging myself into a hole!

Thanks for any help!
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't say there's a lot of maths in it, nothing any more advanced than what you'd have done at higher anyway. There's some equations you'll learn, but they aren't complicated and once you've done a couple of past paper questions you'll get to grips with how to approach them.

However, in terms of content, i'd definitely say that it is a step-up - more so than the step-up from higher to AH for biology. AH biology is still obviously a step-up in content, but I feel it's more an increase in the difficulty of the exam paper questions (and strictness of marking) themselves that makes it harder. For chemistry the first units, especially, introduce more atomic and molecular concepts which can be hard to get your head around at first. But if you done well at higher and study well then you should be fine. Using the SCHOLAR notes/questions and BrightRed notes are perfect I think, because they give great detail and understanding without going overboard and confusing any of the material. Combine these with doing past papers and that should be more than enough to let you excel!

P.S I dunno what it is you're wanting to do at university, but if it's a biological discipline (or medicine) then AH chemistry will really help you, trust me! In my first year I had to take a first-year chemistry course - and it was literally just a repeat of AH chemistry so I felt like I already had a years head start. Then, later on in your degree, chemistry concepts will always pop-up so it'll help having been exposed to some of that content already.
AimeeOceann
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HarisMalik98)
I wouldn't say there's a lot of maths in it, nothing any more advanced than what you'd have done at higher anyway. There's some equations you'll learn, but they aren't complicated and once you've done a couple of past paper questions you'll get to grips with how to approach them.

However, in terms of content, i'd definitely say that it is a step-up - more so than the step-up from higher to AH for biology. AH biology is still obviously a step-up in content, but I feel it's more an increase in the difficulty of the exam paper questions (and strictness of marking) themselves that makes it harder. For chemistry the first units, especially, introduce more atomic and molecular concepts which can be hard to get your head around at first. But if you done well at higher and study well then you should be fine. Using the SCHOLAR notes/questions and BrightRed notes are perfect I think, because they give great detail and understanding without going overboard and confusing any of the material. Combine these with doing past papers and that should be more than enough to let you excel!

P.S I dunno what it is you're wanting to do at university, but if it's a biological discipline (or medicine) then AH chemistry will really help you, trust me! In my first year I had to take a first-year chemistry course - and it was literally just a repeat of AH chemistry so I felt like I already had a years head start. Then, later on in your degree, chemistry concepts will always pop-up so it'll help having been exposed to some of that content already.
Thanks alot, that's really helpful. Not too sure what I want to do at uni but I definitely think it will be something science-y. Thanks again, your comment is really reassuring!
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the recommendation HarisMalik98 and best of luck with your AH choices AimeeOceann! If you have access to SCHOLAR, it is currently possible to see courses even if you are not registered for them by toggling the 'Display other courses' option on the 'My SCHOLAR' page when logged in - this will allow you to have a look at the AH Chemistry content and get a feel for how mathematical it is from your perspective.
Last edited by SCHOLARuk; 3 weeks ago
AimeeOceann
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SCHOLARuk)
Thank you for the recommendation HarisMalik98 and best of luck with your AH choices AimeeOceann! If you have access to SCHOLAR, it is currently possible to see courses even if you are not registered for them by toggling the 'Display other courses' option on the 'My SCHOLAR' page when logged in - this will allow you to have a look at the AH Chemistry content and get a feel for how mathematical it is from your perspective.
Thanks for the idea, I don't actually have access to scholar, but this is definitely a great idea!
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AimeeOceann)
Thanks for the idea, I don't actually have access to scholar, but this is definitely a great idea!
It may be worth asking your teacher(s) or school office - nearly all students in Scotland should have access to SCHOLAR, but not all schools actively distribute login details to students. If you still can't gain access, at worst you can see the AH Chemistry preview topic that is available to all from our homepage by following the 'Try SCHOLAR!' link...
AimeeOceann
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SCHOLARuk)
It may be worth asking your teacher(s) or school office - nearly all students in Scotland should have access to SCHOLAR, but not all schools actively distribute login details to students. If you still can't gain access, at worst you can see the AH Chemistry preview topic that is available to all from our homepage by following the 'Try SCHOLAR!' link...
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (25)
13.51%
Virtual campus tours/open days (42)
22.7%
Live streaming events (17)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (41)
22.16%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.7%