The Student Room Group

A level maths help

The continuous random variable X is normally distributed.
You are given that P(X less than178)=0.2659 and P(X greater than 187)=0.1914 .
Find the mean, , rounded to 1 dp.
2. Find the standard deviation, , rounded to 1 dp.
Original post by keeno25
The continuous random variable X is normally distributed.
You are given that P(X less than178)=0.2659 and P(X greater than 187)=0.1914 .
Find the mean, , rounded to 1 dp.
2. Find the standard deviation, , rounded to 1 dp.

where are you stuck
Reply 2
Original post by Qxi.xli
where are you stuck

just started this topic and not sure where to begin
you have to standardise using z
Reply 4
w

Original post by hhqurashi
you have to standardise using z

what do I put in the formula?
Original post by keeno25
w

what do I put in the formula?

the formula is P(Z<x-mean/standard deviation)
so for example for p(x<178) you put p(z<178-mean/standard deviation)

then use inverse function on your calculator and set up simultaneous equations I think.
Reply 6
the formula is P(Z<x-mean/standard deviation)
so for example for p(x<178) you put p(z<178-mean/standard deviation)

then use inverse function on your calculator and set up simultaneous equations I think.

Thanks for your help but they haven't given the standard deviation in the question?
Original post by keeno25
Thanks for your help but they haven't given the standard deviation in the question?

np, the point of standardising is so that you know the mean is 1 and the s.d. is 0. If you go on the inverse normal function on your calculator (for me its menu-7-3 you will see you can input an area mean and s.d. Since you will have standardised it you can say that for P(Z<178-mean/s.d) the area is .2659 and since you have standardised you can write s.d. as 1 and mean as 0. Press equals and I got -.625... Therefore you can say 178-mean/s.d is -.625 . Repeat this for the P(X>187) to get your 2 simultaneous equations involving two unknowns mean and s.d. then the rest is pretty straightforward. Hope this helped :smile:
P.S be careful when standardising P(X>187)=.1914, change this two P(X<187)=1-.1914 since the formula is for Z is less than then go from there.
Reply 8
np, the point of standardising is so that you know the mean is 1 and the s.d. is 0. If you go on the inverse normal function on your calculator (for me its menu-7-3 you will see you can input an area mean and s.d. Since you will have standardised it you can say that for P(Z<178-mean/s.d) the area is .2659 and since you have standardised you can write s.d. as 1 and mean as 0. Press equals and I got -.625... Therefore you can say 178-mean/s.d is -.625 . Repeat this for the P(X>187) to get your 2 simultaneous equations involving two unknowns mean and s.d. then the rest is pretty straightforward. Hope this helped :smile:
P.S be careful when standardising P(X>187)=.1914, change this two P(X<187)=1-.1914 since the formula is for Z is less than then go from there.

Thanks for your help
Reply 9

Hi so I did this and got 2 means. How do I set up the simultanoues equations for this?
Original post by keeno25
Hi so I did this and got 2 means. How do I set up the simultanoues equations for this?

Sorry I didn't see this till now, if you are still stuck can you post the simultaneous equations you got?

Quick Reply

Latest