holly22xx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi I’m just checking that for AQA EPQ you don’t have to do a literature review right? Because I’ve never heard of it before reading a guide and my co-ordinator/supervisor has never mentioned it before and I can only find it’s on Edexcel’s specification?
tedibare
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do AQA and you definitely need a literature review, where else would you record your references?
velociti_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by holly22xx)
Hi I’m just checking that for AQA EPQ you don’t have to do a literature review right? Because I’ve never heard of it before reading a guide and my co-ordinator/supervisor has never mentioned it before and I can only find it’s on Edexcel’s specification?
You don't need to do a literature review. Your project can either be a report or an artefact (idk if that's the term they use I think it is, basically make something) and then a short report about it.

Most people, including me, do a report and so some sort of literature review. It's one of the most common type of academic papers you'll find and it's probably the easiest thing to do for an EPQ, thinking of a question and reviewing academic literature around it to come to your own conclusion is much easier than say, making an accurate 1:25000 map of somewhere (someone in my sixth form did this a few years ago). You could conduct your own study into something and use some existing studies to support your conclusions/give background knowledge, my supervisor advised against it because he said studies are generally done quite poorly by students and so you'll probably lose marks.

As you'll be aware, the majority of the marks from the EPQ come from planning and from making your own project, it can really be whatever you want it to be, it just happens to be literature reviews that tend to be the most popular
Last edited by velociti_; 3 months ago
holly22xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tedibare)
I do AQA and you definitely need a literature review, where else would you record your references?
Hi so my 5000 word essay is all finished and I have a full bibliography and also references in the footnotes but I’ve asked other people in my EPQ class and they’ve never heard of a literature review either. Is this something that you’re handing in or did you not do a 5000 word essay?
holly22xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by velociti_)
You don't need to do a literature review. Your project can either be a report or an artefact (idk if that's the term they use I think it is, basically make something) and then a short report about it.

Most people, including me, do a report and so some sort of literature review. It's one of the most common type of academic papers you'll find and it's probably the easiest thing to do for an EPQ, thinking of a question and reviewing academic literature around it to come to your own conclusion is much easier than say, making an accurate 1:25000 map of somewhere (someone in my sixth form did this a few years ago). You could conduct your own study into something and use some existing studies to support your conclusions/give background knowledge, my supervisor advised against it because he said studies are generally done quite poorly by students and so you'll probably lose marks.

As you'll be aware, the majority of the marks from the EPQ come from planning and from making your own project, it can really be whatever you want it to be, it just happens to be literature reviews that tend to be the most popular
Is literature review just another name for the 5000 word essay?
tedibare
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi so my 5000 word essay is all finished and I have a full bibliography and also references in the footnotes but I’ve asked other people in my EPQ class and they’ve never heard of a literature review either. Is this something that you’re handing in or did you not do a 5000 word essay?
Yeah some students in different epq classes to me were not aware of it either. I still have to do a 5000 word essay and I’ll be handing that in with my literature review.

The literature review mainly analyses the usefulness and reliability of all your sources
holly22xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tedibare)
Yeah some students in different epq classes to me were not aware of it either. I still have to do a 5000 word essay and I’ll be handing that in with my literature review.

The literature review mainly analyses the usefulness and reliability of all your sources
I’ve just looked in the specification and I can’t see anything about a literature review. The only things it says to hand in are the essay and the production log. I’ve analysed some of the sources I’ve used in my production log aka some of the dates and the reliability of the websites but I can’t see anything in the specification. I’ll double check with my centre co ordinator though.
velociti_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is literature review just another name for the 5000 word essay?
A literature review is a type of writing where you review academic literature (journal articles, research studies etc) in the topic you choose. You analyse the data and information in the existing literature to answer your question, usually literature reviews add some new ideas too, again backed up by sources.

This is different to reviewing whether sources are reliable or not, which I think sometimes people get mixed up with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
8.99%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (59)
66.29%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.48%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.12%

Watched Threads