Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m waiting until my course change request is responded to before I firm, but Bristol is currently my first choice. I’ve called the admissions office multiple times this week to confirm that they’ve received my request but each time they said they weren’t able to take my call at that moment.
Same!! I spoke to somebody in admissions today and they told me the general email address I’d used two weeks ago wasn’t the best one so I’ve blasted an email out to both faculties and other general emails. I got a response quickly from somebody copying another address in but still waiting to actually hear! It’s very frustrating but I would suggest emailing loads of addresses and seeing what response you get. Good luck and keep me posted.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Have you had a response yet about your course change? I’m tempted to phone them just to double check that they received my request
Bl**dy hell. Finally got an email back today after sending it to loads of people and SPAIS have said they don’t usually do course changes until you’re a student there. So, they’ve asked me to forward proof of got a congrats on offer from SPAIS which I’ve done. Bottom line, they don’t seem aware of course change requests and so I would strongly suggest you follow this up on email ASAP. I’ll keep you posted...
Anonymous #7
Report 1 month ago
Bl**dy hell. Finally got an email back today after sending it to loads of people and SPAIS have said they don’t usually do course changes until you’re a student there. So, they’ve asked me to forward proof of got a congrats on offer from SPAIS which I’ve done. Bottom line, they don’t seem aware of course change requests and so I would strongly suggest you follow this up on email ASAP. I’ll keep you posted...
What email was the one you got a response from? Was it the generic departmental one?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
What email was the one you got a response from? Was it the generic departmental one?
No. I was told on the phone that I shouldn’t have been using that address 🙄. The response came from the SPAIS email so faculty specific (the one I want to change my offer to) and it was somebody I wrote to on another email address that forwarded that to them... in short, not at all impressed. They shouldn’t have the option of submitting an application to change course before starting there if they don’t consider them. Hopefully I’ll hear back tomorrow as it’s nearly a month since I asked to change.
Anonymous #7
Report 1 month ago
No. I was told on the phone that I shouldn’t have been using that address 🙄. The response came from the SPAIS email so faculty specific (the one I want to change my offer to) and it was somebody I wrote to on another email address that forwarded that to them... in short, not at all impressed. They shouldn’t have the option of submitting an application to change course before starting there if they don’t consider them. Hopefully I’ll hear back tomorrow as it’s nearly a month since I asked to change.
it’s a bit weird that they said they normally don’t consider changes prior to starting a course since the website says that they only accept changes that are asked for before the course starts, within 2 weeks of it starting or at the end of first year. What time did you call them? I’ve called 7 times this week and each time all I’ve got was an automated response saying they couldn’t take my call. I’m going to email the department but I’d rather be able to call and get a response instantly. I have emails to other unis that took months to get a response 😬
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I called 01173 941 649 at 11 am on Wednesday. Hope you can get through tomorrow 🤞
Anonymous #12
Report 1 month ago
With the blended learning mail, I personally understood it so larger group events like lectures would be online but everything else (e.g seminars, tutorials) in person, which I think is perfectly reasonable for them to do and I think many UK unis will follow suit. So I don't actually understand what people are getting upset about. This is not meant in a passive aggressive way, just genuinely curious
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
With the blended learning mail, I personally understood it so larger group events like lectures would be online but everything else (e.g seminars, tutorials) in person, which I think is perfectly reasonable for them to do and I think many UK unis will follow suit. So I don't actually understand what people are getting upset about. This is not meant in a passive aggressive way, just genuinely curious
I’m not upset about it; I’m curious too and was interested to hear opinions. The video was made 10 months ago when restrictions were very necessary. I think the point was made in the video about the fact you could do the course without being on campus. Agree some lectures online is ok if needed but I think a concern might be that they keep blended learning even when they don’t need to. I appreciate it is hard to anticipate but things seem to be moving towards restrictions lifting so what will their plan be then? I guess we’ll find out!
Anonymous #7
Report 1 month ago
I called 01173 941 649 at 11 am on Wednesday. Hope you can get through tomorrow 🤞
I managed to get through today but they said that the request had been rejected due to the course already being full. They had the wrong copy of my grades though so i'm worried that it may have been rejected because of that (the grades they had for me are not enough for the course but the ones i actually have are). They recommended trying ro change during clearing or in the beginning of term, so i've sent an email to ask if i can talk to someone within the department to see if this is actually likely to be possible. What's frustrating as well is that they said that accommodation applications open on the 11th of may, and are likely to fill up quickly so i'm going to have to decide to firm or not without knowing if i can transfer if i want to get good accomodation.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I managed to get through today but they said that the request had been rejected due to the course already being full. They had the wrong copy of my grades though so i'm worried that it may have been rejected because of that (the grades they had for me are not enough for the course but the ones i actually have are). They recommended trying ro change during clearing or in the beginning of term, so i've sent an email to ask if i can talk to someone within the department to see if this is actually likely to be possible. What's frustrating as well is that they said that accommodation applications open on the 11th of may, and are likely to fill up quickly so i'm going to have to decide to firm or not without knowing if i can transfer if i want to get good accomodation.
OMG!! What aren’t they telling us these things without us needing to chase them up?!?! I’d half decided to just firm my offer now (for Psychology) and deal with the transfer later as I don’t think they are set up well to sort this out now. What will you do? I’ve heard nothing back from them today, of course...!
thomaswilkie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OMG!! What aren’t they telling us these things without us needing to chase them up?!?! I’d half decided to just firm my offer now (for Psychology) and deal with the transfer later as I don’t think they are set up well to sort this out now. What will you do? I’ve heard nothing back from them today, of course...!
Hey I’m the same person, do you want to private message me since this convo sort of feels like it’s hijacked the thread a bit lol. They told me that if a place becomes available in clearing I’d get preferential treatment because I have achieved grades so right now I’m thinking to just firm and hope for the best. I’m slightly picky about my accommodation so I don’t want to drag the decision on and risk ending up in awful halls. I’m also half convinced that if I have to wait until the start of term to change that I would be able to convince an actual professor to accept the change
waitanddrinktea
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, maybe this is a bit of a relief, but Bristol undergraduate accommodation is NOT allocated on a first come, first serve basis. As long as you still apply before the deadline (30 June), you have the same chance everyone else does

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...raduate/apply/
Indiex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azgaan)
Hi all, I received an offer from Bristol to study Archaeology and Anthropology BA, starting in September 😊 currently I'm doing an access to he course in Criminology, Sociology and psychology ☺️
Hi! I'm also an access to HE student with an offer for archaeology and anthropology at Bristol I saw your other post regarding maintenance loan although for some reason it wont let me comment. I've been offered the same amount (way lower than expected!) and my living situation is the same so was wondering if you have any updates on that?
LoriGoGo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
anyone from psychology or neuroscience? ive an offer for the joint honours. Also im a bit clueless with accomodation and i havent seen any group chats for stuff pop up
mxrgors
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I have an offer to study Business Analytics for September 2021. Unfortunately, I don't have a scholarship yet so I applied for the second round of Think Big Postgrad Scholarship. My acceptance deadline is on June 23rd but the scholarship announcement is on July 9th. Do you think it will be possible to ask for acceptance deadline extension or the scholarship decision to be announced earlier?
Lost Student_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mxrgors)
Hi everyone, I have an offer to study Business Analytics for September 2021. Unfortunately, I don't have a scholarship yet so I applied for the second round of Think Big Postgrad Scholarship. My acceptance deadline is on June 23rd but the scholarship announcement is on July 9th. Do you think it will be possible to ask for acceptance deadline extension or the scholarship decision to be announced earlier?
I don't think they will extend your acceptance deadline. I had the same problem but my deadline was far back in January; I accepted the offer even though I don't know whether I will receive the scholarship. As for the earlier scholarship decision, they unfortunately don't do that by request, although you might receive an e-mail before July 9th.
Last edited by Lost Student_; 2 weeks ago
mxrgors
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lost Student_)
I don't think they will extend your acceptance deadline. I had the same problem but my deadline was far back in January; I accepted the offer even though I don't know whether I will receive the scholarship. As for the earlier scholarship decision, they unfortunately don't do that by request, although you might receive an e-mail before July 9th.
Do you know how early the decision can be and will it be possible to get a deposit refund if I don't get the scholarship?
Lost Student_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mxrgors)
Do you know how early the decision can be and will it be possible to get a deposit refund if I don't get the scholarship?
Based on the first round, I think the decision can be approximately a week before the end date, I don't know if any postgraduate applicant received it earlier. As for the deposit refund, to my knowledge it is given only if you don't satisfy the conditions (in case your offer is conditional) and in a few other circumstances (they are explained somewhere on the site), but failure to get a scholarship is not stated as a valid reason, sadly.
mxrgors
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lost Student_)
Based on the first round, I think the decision can be approximately a week before the end date, I don't know if any postgraduate applicant received it earlier. As for the deposit refund, to my knowledge it is given only if you don't satisfy the conditions (in case your offer is conditional) and in a few other circumstances (they are explained somewhere on the site), but failure to get a scholarship is not stated as a valid reason, sadly.
Thank you! I reached out to the admissions team and got a reply today saying that they can help extend the deadline if I submit the evidence of scholarship application so hopefully I won't have to put a deposit before the scholarship decision is clear.
Anonymous #13
Report 2 weeks ago
Nice! I'm waiting to hear the scholarship decision too. I'm also not sure about paying my deposit considering that I have not heard back from uni housing and private housing is quite expensive (I'm not guaranteed uni housing). I require a visa so I'm unsure about the long wait. I just wish the decisions were made earlier so that those requiring visas can have a solid plan. Sighh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (198)
43.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.09%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.76%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
20.84%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.42%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.99%

Watched Threads