KatieWinterburn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! I’m 21 and I’ve just had an offer to go to Chester uni, I don’t know if I should apply for halls or go for another student accommodation. There aren’t many photos on the website of their halls/accommodations. I’ve found a student accommodation that isn’t owned by the uni and I really like it but I’m not sure if I’d miss out not being in their halls! The accommodation I’ve found has a shared kitchen so I’d have that social aspect! Just looking for some advice! Thanks!
etc-etc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello! Is this for undergrad or postgrad?

I'm not sure how Chester works, but at my university they only put you in flats with all undergrads or all postgrads. Therefore, if you are undergrad and they have the same policy, you might end up with lots of 18 year olds. For some people this is fine, for others it might not be. If it might be a problem for you, maybe phone accommodation services and ask whether they do 'mature student' flats, or what their policies might be? I find that the students in non-uni-owned student accommodation in my city are typically international students or a little older than freshers'.

If being around younger people doesn't bother you so much and you like a party, then I would say halls sounds like a great option. But ultimately, you can have an amazing social life joining societies and going to their parties.

Hope this helps!
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by KatieWinterburn)
Hi! I’m 21 and I’ve just had an offer to go to Chester uni, I don’t know if I should apply for halls or go for another student accommodation. There aren’t many photos on the website of their halls/accommodations. I’ve found a student accommodation that isn’t owned by the uni and I really like it but I’m not sure if I’d miss out not being in their halls! The accommodation I’ve found has a shared kitchen so I’d have that social aspect! Just looking for some advice! Thanks!
Hi,

From what I've experience being at Southampton University (and I think this tends to be fairly universal), university owned accommodation tend to be a bit more social than private halls. It depends what kind of vibe you want from your accommodation, but private halls, tend to have quieter people in them who tend to keep to themselves a bit more (this isn't always the case just my experience). If you wanted more of a traditional university experience Id recommend going for university owned halls, they do tend to not be as nice as private halls, but you'll be in a very social setting with lots of people wanting to make friends when you join. Universities also tend to run events in halls which can be really good to get to know people and private halls tend to not have as many of these events.
It depends what is important to you in your accommodation, so if you want a really nice accommodation I'd recommend going private halls. But if you want a more social accommodation, I'd recommend university owned halls.
Hope this helps,
Abi (3rd year Electrical and Electronic engineering student)
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by KatieWinterburn)
Hi KatieWinterburn,

So I think it does depend on the vibe you would prefer. I've heard that private accommodation can be quieter also, it does tend to be a blend of different years. In halls, I've found them to be more sociable and predominately 1st years. Whilst halls don't tend to be as nice as private halls, I think they tend to be better for the social aspect and you only really live there for a year or so. I also do think a shared kitchen is definitely more sociable too!

Hope that has helped and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
From,

Amina 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads