The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Hello, I'm extremely indecisive about what to pick for my third A Level option, I've chosen Art and Chemistry so far. I know these two don't correlate whatsoever but I'm passionate about both subjects and really enjoy them, however as for my third option I'm incredibly unsure. I am absolutely sure that I do not want to do Maths at A Level, and do not enjoy Biology or English Literature enough for me to want to pursue them further. I also have absolutely no idea as to what I want to do for a career or to study at university which makes this all the more difficult. I was considering possibly Psychology or French, or maybe Philosophy & Ethics. What are the pros and cons of each? If anyone has any advice I will be forever grateful! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Personally philosophy and psychology are pointless unless you want to study them as for example if you wanted to study psychology at uni you can get in with chemistry. French could be very useful as it’s a big positive to know another language and a great skill employers like. :smile:
But I do a German a level and it is quite difficult and a big step up from gcse so make sure you enjoy french of you choose it
I do psychology a level. Ngl I don't love it just because the teaching at my school is very different to GCSE. It is interesting, but its hard because there is a lot of content. Its easy to understand there is just a lot of it. However, I do find it really interesting and it is helpful to have a science subject for an a level which unit like. Although if your doing art and chemistry that doesn't matter too much. I would say now choose an essay subject because then you will have a really broad range for unis (if that's the path your taking) as you've got creative, essay and science subject.
Reply 4
If you like chemistry, psychology might be useful because a lot of science related university courses require 2 sciences. I love A level psychology - it's not too difficult and it's really interesting. It's mostly just memorizing content.
Original post by doopsie
Hello, I'm extremely indecisive about what to pick for my third A Level option, I've chosen Art and Chemistry so far. I know these two don't correlate whatsoever but I'm passionate about both subjects and really enjoy them, however as for my third option I'm incredibly unsure. I am absolutely sure that I do not want to do Maths at A Level, and do not enjoy Biology or English Literature enough for me to want to pursue them further. I also have absolutely no idea as to what I want to do for a career or to study at university which makes this all the more difficult. I was considering possibly Psychology or French, or maybe Philosophy & Ethics. What are the pros and cons of each? If anyone has any advice I will be forever grateful! :smile:

Your subjects don't really need to relate to one another. Art, Chem and either Philo, Psych or French would be perfect third subjects.

Just make sure to consider what you might want to do after your A levels. If you want to do a university degree, then you might find that certain degrees require a specific A level or two. This isn't always the case, though.

Aside from specific requirements listed by the university (if any), you're free to do whichever subjects you enjoy. Again, it doesn't matter if they connect well or not.
Original post by doopsie

Hi!

It isn't completely necessary for your A-Level subjects to correlate! I am currently in my second year of Psychology at UoP and for my A-Levels I chose Psychology, Philosophy and Ethics, and English Literaure.

A-Level Psychology is good as it can be applied to so many areas. Being beneficial that it is an essay subject, but also has some statistics thrown in there too so it gives you a good mix of skills which are applicable to a variety of University courses/Careers! Likewise, Philosophy and Ethics is extremely interesting, however I definitely found it quite hard as there was lots of content and different philosophers/theorists to remember.

If you arent completely sure what career/course you may want to study, it is important to also think about which course you may enjoy the most so you get the most out of it !

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I hope this helps!

Sian- UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by bloograpefroot
But I do a German a level and it is quite difficult and a big step up from gcse so make sure you enjoy french of you choose it

Hi, I've chosen French and German (as well as History) for A-Levels next year. Could you tell me more about how you find German :smile:
Original post by average_human
Hi, I've chosen French and German (as well as History) for A-Levels next year. Could you tell me more about how you find German :smile:

I love German overall and tbh I’m not the smartest and I don’t find it really difficult compared to my other subjects as long as I keep on top of it. I’d say there’s lots of new words and you should revise the vocabulary for each topic as that’s really important. In the listening it’s pretty good as you get to play the recording yourself and repeat specific questions if you want. Also you don’t have to write in different tense just mainly present but it’s important to know your cases well and different verb forms as accuracy is needed for a good grade. When translating also make sure you never miss small words as they can be the difference between a mark or not such as much and make sure when translating to English it sounds as fluent as possible :smile::smile:
Original post by bloograpefroot
I love German overall and tbh I’m not the smartest and I don’t find it really difficult compared to my other subjects as long as I keep on top of it. I’d say there’s lots of new words and you should revise the vocabulary for each topic as that’s really important. In the listening it’s pretty good as you get to play the recording yourself and repeat specific questions if you want. Also you don’t have to write in different tense just mainly present but it’s important to know your cases well and different verb forms as accuracy is needed for a good grade. When translating also make sure you never miss small words as they can be the difference between a mark or not such as much and make sure when translating to English it sounds as fluent as possible :smile::smile:

thank you!
Original post by doopsie

Hi! I actually also did Art and Chemistry together, alongside English Lit and Economics - although my plan was to go into Fine Art, and Chemistry was just kept on as I found it interesting.
If you're good at French and you like it (I didn't, so dropped it at GCSE), I'd keep French on. Although it's a big step up from GCSE, having a language at A-Level is fairly useful. It also adds another level of variety to your subjects, which should be encouraged.
Does your college have any other options that you're interested in? As said before, because the options don't really need to relate to one another, you could choose something else entirely if you wanted.
Reply 11
Original post by EDEM0978
Hi! I actually also did Art and Chemistry together, alongside English Lit and Economics - although my plan was to go into Fine Art, and Chemistry was just kept on as I found it interesting.
If you're good at French and you like it (I didn't, so dropped it at GCSE), I'd keep French on. Although it's a big step up from GCSE, having a language at A-Level is fairly useful. It also adds another level of variety to your subjects, which should be encouraged.
Does your college have any other options that you're interested in? As said before, because the options don't really need to relate to one another, you could choose something else entirely if you wanted.

Hi, that's also the main reason I'm keeping Chemistry, as I find it super interesting rather than wanting a career in it! I would say I am pretty good at French, I'm currently working at a grade 8, I am just really debating over whether I enjoy it enough at GCSE to continue it at A Level as I find GCSE quite boring. The options I originally wrote (pyschology, ethic etc) are the only options I really would be interested in :smile: Thank you for your advice!!
Reply 12
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

It isn't completely necessary for your A-Level subjects to correlate! I am currently in my second year of Psychology at UoP and for my A-Levels I chose Psychology, Philosophy and Ethics, and English Literaure.

A-Level Psychology is good as it can be applied to so many areas. Being beneficial that it is an essay subject, but also has some statistics thrown in there too so it gives you a good mix of skills which are applicable to a variety of University courses/Careers! Likewise, Philosophy and Ethics is extremely interesting, however I definitely found it quite hard as there was lots of content and different philosophers/theorists to remember.

If you arent completely sure what career/course you may want to study, it is important to also think about which course you may enjoy the most so you get the most out of it !

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I hope this helps!

Sian- UoP Rep :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Quick-use
Your subjects don't really need to relate to one another. Art, Chem and either Philo, Psych or French would be perfect third subjects.

Just make sure to consider what you might want to do after your A levels. If you want to do a university degree, then you might find that certain degrees require a specific A level or two. This isn't always the case, though.

Aside from specific requirements listed by the university (if any), you're free to do whichever subjects you enjoy. Again, it doesn't matter if they connect well or not.

Thank you ! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by not_thriving
I do psychology a level. Ngl I don't love it just because the teaching at my school is very different to GCSE. It is interesting, but its hard because there is a lot of content. Its easy to understand there is just a lot of it. However, I do find it really interesting and it is helpful to have a science subject for an a level which unit like. Although if your doing art and chemistry that doesn't matter too much. I would say now choose an essay subject because then you will have a really broad range for unis (if that's the path your taking) as you've got creative, essay and science subject.

Yeah, I'm very much leaning towards taking an essay subject now - people have told me Psychology is incredibly maths and statistic based which has put me off slightly!! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by doopsie
Hi, that's also the main reason I'm keeping Chemistry, as I find it super interesting rather than wanting a career in it! I would say I am pretty good at French, I'm currently working at a grade 8, I am just really debating over whether I enjoy it enough at GCSE to continue it at A Level as I find GCSE quite boring. The options I originally wrote (pyschology, ethic etc) are the only options I really would be interested in :smile: Thank you for your advice!!

Personally, I'd consider maybe doing something else if you find GCSE French boring. I did well in it, too - I got an A* - but if you don't have a passion for it, it's maybe not advisable to keep it on to A-Level.
The step up from GCSE to A-Level in any language is a large one - extra effort has to often be put in to bridge the gap, so if you're not extremely passionate about it, the subject can quickly become tedious.
Philosophy and Ethics would be my choice out of the lot.
Original post by doopsie
Yeah, I'm very much leaning towards taking an essay subject now - people have told me Psychology is incredibly maths and statistic based which has put me off slightly!! Thanks for the advice :smile:

it's really not maths based do not worry!!! there's a bit of maths, but it isn't anything too taxing so don't not take it if you worried about the maths

Quick Reply

Latest