What is a biomedicine timetable like?

Watch this thread
Kattys95
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve applied for uni in September but I’d be returning as a mature student, just wondered what a weekly timetable is like (how many contact hours/days at uni) and whether it changes each week so it’s not consistent for a term? I have kids at school and I’m wondering if I would be able to hold down a part time job too, but perhaps that might be impossible! Would just like a realistic picture of what to expect 😊

Thank you 😀
Embz1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I'm a 4th yr biomed student, I would say that it probably varies a lot form uni to uni. But for me (I'm at sheffield) I had between 9-12 lecture a week (3 per module, doing about 4 modules at a time) + 3 hours of labs every week (except for during my diss research project where I was in the lab most days). These were kind of spread out throughout the week, but some weeks I would have everything on mon-wed. Also most unis have an afternoon (usually wed) off every week (meant for sports) so you can pretty much guarantee time off then too. My uni recommends you do about 100 hours of work per 10 credits, which averages out at about 3hrs of extra work per lecture (the whole year is 120 credits) so if you stick to that, it is pretty much like a full time job. But myself and many of my friends had part time jobs in uni and managed, you just have to work out how to best manage your time. I also know someone on my course who is a mature student and has a daughter and she manages fine. I guess you'll know more when you get your timetable, and it might take a bit of trial and error in terms of how managing your time works best, but I'm sure you'll be able to cope!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads