MissZ123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How many marks would you give this? What grade? How can i improve? I'm aiming for at least a grade 7

Dickens presents the theme of redemption through Scrooge who transforms from a greedy, miserly man to a kind man, who has redeemed himself by his willingness to change. This is done by the author, to hint to the audience that they too should change to experience the full benefits of being part of a society and community but also to suggest that anyone can change

Dickens creates direct contrasts between the character of Scrooge at the beginning and at the end of the novella to portray the theme of redemption. One way he does this is through his mathussian attitude towards the charity collectors. Scrooge dismisses them with ‘are there no prisons?’ Like many other wealthy victorians, his rhetorical questions shows that he believed that by helping the poor, they will rely more on the rich. Heartless, he believes they should suffer in prisons and workhouses, so that he can save every penny of his money to himself. The malthus theory also included that with the growing population, there will not be enough food left and so ‘if they would rather die’ ‘they had better to do it’. Trembling’ towards the grave, his fear of the consequence of his actions is evident in his body language. Begging and pleading, ‘hear me. I am not the man I was’ to the ghost, the final straw makes it definite that he will redeem himself by a change in his attitude after seeing the consequences of his behaviour, one being his death.

Another way that Dickens presents the theme of redemptions is how at first Scrooge was ‘as solitary as an oyster’. This simile portrays his isolation as he has a hard shell, not allowing anyone to get inside. But inside they may have a pearl, which is valuable and can be redeemed. This shows Scrooge to be isolated and when Fred invites him for Christmas he replied with ‘Id don’t merry myself at christmas and i can't afford to make idle people merry’ He has no interest in the christmas season and insists he ‘can’t afford’ portraying his misplaced priorities. This connotes that he beliefs that it is the poors fault for being poor, a common idea the many people had in the Victorian Era However in the end of the book, he promises to change and asks his nephew ‘will you let me in’ Scrooge's Question contrasts with his harsh asn dismissive language towards fred at the beginning, highlighting his willingness to change as a redeemed man.

Also, at the beginning of the novella, his greedy attitude is evident is how Scrooge had ‘a very small fire’. He had become used to this as ‘external heat and cold had little influence over him’. This shows that the cold weather had little influence over him but also metaphorically he has a cold heart. This is because Scrooge made the decision to not allow external forces to influence his feelings. If atmospheric conditions dont change him, then people certainly would not either. It was also for him to save money as his clerks fire,’ was so very much smaller’ like ‘one coal’. He is unwilling to spend his money on himself, let alone his clerk and others. But by the end of his transformation, he is willing to spend his money, out of his own choice to help others and to spread Christmas cheer. He sends a turkey to the Cratchits and his ‘chuckle’ represents that now he is generous and kind, as he spends his money for good, to help his community. Dickens used Scrooge’s change as a redeemed man to show the readers that by being part of a society everyone can benefit. Dickens himself had an isolated childhood, as he grew up in poverty. Experiencing this himself, he wanted less people to suffer, by bringing a change in society.

Overall, the theme of redemption is shown through the contrast of Scrooge's character in the beginning of the novella to the end. Dickens had experienced both sides of the spectrum and saw that the gap in his community needed to be fixed.
egainse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MissZ123)
How many marks would you give this? What grade? How can i improve? I'm aiming for at least a grade 7

Dickens presents the theme of redemption through Scrooge who transforms from a greedy, miserly man to a kind man, who has redeemed himself by his willingness to change. This is done by the author, to hint to the audience that they too should change to experience the full benefits of being part of a society and community but also to suggest that anyone can change

Dickens creates direct contrasts between the character of Scrooge at the beginning and at the end of the novella to portray the theme of redemption. One way he does this is through his mathussian attitude towards the charity collectors. Scrooge dismisses them with ‘are there no prisons?’ Like many other wealthy victorians, his rhetorical questions shows that he believed that by helping the poor, they will rely more on the rich. Heartless, he believes they should suffer in prisons and workhouses, so that he can save every penny of his money to himself. The malthus theory also included that with the growing population, there will not be enough food left and so ‘if they would rather die’ ‘they had better to do it’. Trembling’ towards the grave, his fear of the consequence of his actions is evident in his body language. Begging and pleading, ‘hear me. I am not the man I was’ to the ghost, the final straw makes it definite that he will redeem himself by a change in his attitude after seeing the consequences of his behaviour, one being his death.

Another way that Dickens presents the theme of redemptions is how at first Scrooge was ‘as solitary as an oyster’. This simile portrays his isolation as he has a hard shell, not allowing anyone to get inside. But inside they may have a pearl, which is valuable and can be redeemed. This shows Scrooge to be isolated and when Fred invites him for Christmas he replied with ‘Id don’t merry myself at christmas and i can't afford to make idle people merry’ He has no interest in the christmas season and insists he ‘can’t afford’ portraying his misplaced priorities. This connotes that he beliefs that it is the poors fault for being poor, a common idea the many people had in the Victorian Era However in the end of the book, he promises to change and asks his nephew ‘will you let me in’ Scrooge's Question contrasts with his harsh asn dismissive language towards fred at the beginning, highlighting his willingness to change as a redeemed man.

Also, at the beginning of the novella, his greedy attitude is evident is how Scrooge had ‘a very small fire’. He had become used to this as ‘external heat and cold had little influence over him’. This shows that the cold weather had little influence over him but also metaphorically he has a cold heart. This is because Scrooge made the decision to not allow external forces to influence his feelings. If atmospheric conditions dont change him, then people certainly would not either. It was also for him to save money as his clerks fire,’ was so very much smaller’ like ‘one coal’. He is unwilling to spend his money on himself, let alone his clerk and others. But by the end of his transformation, he is willing to spend his money, out of his own choice to help others and to spread Christmas cheer. He sends a turkey to the Cratchits and his ‘chuckle’ represents that now he is generous and kind, as he spends his money for good, to help his community. Dickens used Scrooge’s change as a redeemed man to show the readers that by being part of a society everyone can benefit. Dickens himself had an isolated childhood, as he grew up in poverty. Experiencing this himself, he wanted less people to suffer, by bringing a change in society.

Overall, the theme of redemption is shown through the contrast of Scrooge's character in the beginning of the novella to the end. Dickens had experienced both sides of the spectrum and saw that the gap in his community needed to be fixed.
Try to use words like "futhermore" instead of also, but otherwise this looks really really good I would say about grade 7/8
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (124)
43.06%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.63%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (114)
39.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.74%

Watched Threads