The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gpcr1997
What was your ucat and grades?

My UCAT was 2760 and 2.1 in biomed
Has anyone who applied via the form got a text etc
Also what additional info do they ask? And do they ask this after/before giving invite ?
Those who had interviews, could u tell others were too (mmi) ?
Original post by Trapsims
My UCAT was 2760 and 2.1 in biomed

Hey! How did they inform you about the interview? Sorry if this has been asked previously
idk I was told that I should get a call today, they even asked if I wasn't available and at what time so I specified bc like I've got work and stuff and I still haven't had a phone call. I'm just assuming they wont call and just gotta wait for the rejection on track :smile:
Original post by Ammyrita
Those who had interviews, could u tell others were too (mmi) ?

It’s MMI you have to upload videos of you answering each question within 3 hours.
Yesterday I phoned Brighton & Sussex, Keele, QUB, Cardiff and I emailed Lancaster. Every last one of them said that they will not go into Clearing this year due to being highly oversubscribed. I imagine it will be the same for the others. I had 4 pre-interview rejections despite having 150 hours of volunteering, a week's work experience, loads of extra-curriculars (DofE, sports captain) and a solid set of grades (all 9's at GCSE and 3xA* predictions). I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Oxford. What I learned... 1) Don't apply to Scottish medical schools unless you are a Scottish applicant, 2) going to an independent school disadvantaged me - check carefully (Birmingham) the selection process before applying. I will take a gap year and re-apply to university, but not to study Medicine.
Reply 2288
Original post by 123HME
I had 4 pre-interview rejections despite having 150 hours of volunteering, a week's work experience, loads of extra-curriculars (DofE, sports captain) and a solid set of grades (all 9's at GCSE and 3xA* predictions). I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Oxford. What I learned... 1) Don't apply to Scottish medical schools unless you are a Scottish applicant, 2) going to an independent school disadvantaged me - check carefully (Birmingham) the selection process before applying. I will take a gap year and re-apply to university, but not to study Medicine.

Surely the pre-interview rejections are also based on your entrance exam scores more than your work experience and extracurriculars?
Why have you decided not to re-apply for medicine on your gap year?
Original post by 123HME
Yesterday I phoned Brighton & Sussex, Keele, QUB, Cardiff and I emailed Lancaster. Every last one of them said that they will not go into Clearing this year due to being highly oversubscribed. I imagine it will be the same for the others. I had 4 pre-interview rejections despite having 150 hours of volunteering, a week's work experience, loads of extra-curriculars (DofE, sports captain) and a solid set of grades (all 9's at GCSE and 3xA* predictions). I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Oxford. What I learned... 1) Don't apply to Scottish medical schools unless you are a Scottish applicant, 2) going to an independent school disadvantaged me - check carefully (Birmingham) the selection process before applying. I will take a gap year and re-apply to university, but not to study Medicine.

What was your UCAT score if you don't mind sharing?
Original post by 123HME
Yesterday I phoned Brighton & Sussex, Keele, QUB, Cardiff and I emailed Lancaster. Every last one of them said that they will not go into Clearing this year due to being highly oversubscribed. I imagine it will be the same for the others. I had 4 pre-interview rejections despite having 150 hours of volunteering, a week's work experience, loads of extra-curriculars (DofE, sports captain) and a solid set of grades (all 9's at GCSE and 3xA* predictions). I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Oxford. What I learned... 1) Don't apply to Scottish medical schools unless you are a Scottish applicant, 2) going to an independent school disadvantaged me - check carefully (Birmingham) the selection process before applying. I will take a gap year and re-apply to university, but not to study Medicine

I am surprised you still picked edinburgh and birmingham after GANFYD gave you some suggestions last year
Original post by 123HME

You can apply anywhere you like, as long as it is applying to your strengths.
Scottish med school do have fewer places for RUK than Home, but they usually have fewer applicants from RUK, as well. If you make sure you are ticking the requirements, it is perfectly possible to get offers (my son got 2 from Scottish med schools as an English applicant).
Going to an independent school disadvantages nobody, and it shows a significant sense of entitlement for you to think it does. The extra points given by all med schools are to bring those without your advantages up to a similar level to applicants like yourself.
You have applied to 3 UCAT med schools that require pretty high UCAT scores, so I am guessing you did not do as well on your admission test, so need to apply accordingly, should you continue along this career path
I received a text, an acknowledgment email, and another confirmation email from SGUL that they are processing my application. Should I give them a call to ask about interviews? Or should I just wait.
Original post by lucasxtan
I received a text, an acknowledgment email, and another confirmation email from SGUL that they are processing my application. Should I give them a call to ask about interviews? Or should I just wait.

How long has it been?
Seems like they’ve given you confirmation etc so probs should wait?
Original post by 123HME

that’s so unfortunate, but may I ask why are you considering taking gap year when you are not planning to apply for medicine? almost all of the courses are offered via clearing rn.
Original post by nonall
that’s so unfortunate, but may I ask why are you considering taking gap year when you are not planning to apply for medicine? almost all of the courses are offered via clearing rn.

I am interested in a new course offered at Imperial (Biomedical Technology Ventures) that will begin 2022.
Original post by medhopeeful
How long has it been?
Seems like they’ve given you confirmation etc so probs should wait?

I got the text at 12:00 yesterday and a confirmation email at 11:00 today!
Original post by 123HME
I am interested in a new course offered at Imperial (Biomedical Technology Ventures) that will begin 2022.

Wow this actually looks like a very interesting course!
hi, so what ucat scores are they requiring ?
Original post by lucasxtan
I got the text at 12:00 yesterday and a confirmation email at 11:00 today!

Give it some time.. I’ve been anxious too and they emailed me this morning and nothing else since.. I guess all we can do is just wait! Hopefully you and I both get a response by tomorrow?!

Latest

Trending

Trending