The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SJAko
I was rejected by Sunderland but sent an email a few days later asking if I wanted them to keep my details on file in case a place became available for September? How does this work? Is this not the same as applying again through clearing?

My understanding is that universities do this to students who did reasonably ok at the interview. If one has unfortunately not got any other offers but does above average on results day the university can take you if they have unfilled seats instead of going through the process clearing and interviews.
Will the uni go into clearing if they still have students on their waiting list?
Original post by icecream14
Will the uni go into clearing if they still have students on their waiting list?

Potentially.

Remember that some med schools go into Clearing deliberately so they may specifically set aside a few places just for Clearing - to get students who got better than expected.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Oh...
I got put on the waitlist for SGUL. If I were to ring them up during Clearing to try and shoot my shot again, do you think I will be at an advantage?
Is SGUL known for deliberately setting aside places for Clearing?
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh...
I got put on the waitlist for SGUL. If I were to ring them up during Clearing to try and shoot my shot again, do you think I will be at an advantage?

You'll probably know what happens by then.

Is SGUL known for deliberately setting aside places for Clearing?

Yes, but last year (2020) they gave all their places (as far as I know) prior to Results Day to the grads applying to their A100 course.

Ok thank you. I guess its just hard work and fingers crossed from now.
Thank you so much for your help!
Ok thank you. I guess its just hard work and fingers crossed from now.
Thank you so much for your help!

:crossedf: you don't need to use Clearing! :goodluck:

Thanks for the tag @ecolier
In my third year of medicine since then I hope the advice shared has been helpful.
I'm out here losing motivation but I think it's coming back... Medicine here we go.
does the UCAT I've taken for this year apply for Clearing? I assume it does?
Original post by Headlesschicken
does the UCAT I've taken for this year apply for Clearing? I assume it does?

You mean last year right?

Clearing 2021 will only accept a UCAT / BMAT score from 2020.

Prior to 2020, med schools used to accept a UCAT score from that same year so you'd be able to use the 2018 or 2019 UCAT score for 2019 Clearing, whichever is higher (which is unfair really since it gives people two chances). It stopped from last year onwards.

Can someone tell me whether medicine will go into clearing this year? Iv not had any decisions yet but I am just wondering incase of rejections. I am on target for 3 A*s and have a UCAT of 2840 B1, BMAT of 6.5, 6.9 3A, so I feel like my stats would give me an alright chance if I did go to clearing and medicine was an option...
Also which unis typically go into clearing for med?
Original post by CJField
Can someone tell me whether medicine will go into clearing this year?

You posted in the wrong thread so it's been moved here to the dedicated Medicine UCAS Extra / Clearing thread.

The answer is "no one knows, but it's likely".

Iv not had any decisions yet but I am just wondering incase of rejections. I am on target for 3 A*s and have a UCAT of 2840 B1, BMAT of 6.5, 6.9 3A, so I feel like my stats would give me an alright chance if I did go to clearing and medicine was an option...
Also which unis typically go into clearing for med?

Read the first post of this thread for a list of which med schools were in Extra / Clearing in 2019 and 2020.

thanks @ecolier, very helpful, yes I meant my ucat in this year (2020/21) cycle. My rejections are all pre-interview and were due to cut-off (I got 2710) and I haven't done the BMAT so I'm just trying to think ahead about realistically my options are..thinking the cut offs in clearing will be higher than this everywhere 😱
Original post by Headlesschicken
thanks @ecolier, very helpful, yes I meant my ucat in this year (2020/21) cycle. My rejections are all pre-interview and were due to cut-off (I got 2710) and I haven't done the BMAT so I'm just trying to think ahead about realistically my options are..thinking the cut offs in clearing will be higher than this everywhere 😱

It should be similar to the normal cycle's cut off - so if SGUL enters Clearing for their A100 I would expect it to be around 2620 for undergrads and 2800 for grads.

Reply 54
Hi guys, I’ve been rejected from 3 medical schools and probably excepting a 4th rejection lol. This year has been very competitive tbh. I’m thinking about clearing. Last year quite a few unis went into clearing for medicine and I’m hoping for the same this year:smile:
There’s always hope for your final uni! However, it is sensible that you’re thinking ahead. I think there’s also something called UCAS extra which gives you another shot at getting into medicine after receiving four rejections. Best of luck!!
Reply 56
Original post by KaziMahathir
There’s always hope for your final uni! However, it is sensible that you’re thinking ahead. I think there’s also something called UCAS extra which gives you another shot at getting into medicine after receiving four rejections. Best of luck!!

Thank you!! But does medicne work for ucas extra that sounds a bit weird because it’s so late into the year.
Original post by Uni234
Thank you!! But does medicne work for ucas extra that sounds a bit weird because it’s so late into the year.

Hmm I think so? knows more about it though
Original post by Uni234
Hi guys, I’ve been rejected from 3 medical schools and probably excepting a 4th rejection lol. This year has been very competitive tbh. I’m thinking about clearing. Last year quite a few unis went into clearing for medicine and I’m hoping for the same this year:smile:

Please read the first post of this dedicated medicine Clearing thread (the one we're in now) and continue your posts in here.

Original post by KaziMahathir
Hmm I think so? @ecolier knows more about it though

Thanks.

Reply 59
Do you guys think I can get into clearing with grades ABC

Latest

Trending

Trending