The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studybuddy1302
Okay thank you. So all I have to do is select “completely withdraw choice” and then I’ll be eligible for Ucas extra. If I withdraw that one I still have my four other choices. Is that all I have to do? Cos it says on the website once withdrawn u can’t change it for another choice

Yes, read https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices for further information.

If you are still waiting for decision from any of your med schools, you'd still not be eligible even if you withdrew your 5th choice.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 81
My grades are achieved
Original post by Uni234
My grades are achieved

Oh good, then yes give them a call when they open but most med schools go into Clearing around Results Day - those who are there at the start of Clearing are usually looking for grads (e.g. SGUL A100 last year).

Reply 83
Thank you! One more question what about courses like pharmacy do u think they will open clearing in the beginning of clearing
Original post by Uni234
Thank you! One more question what about courses like pharmacy do u think they will open clearing in the beginning of clearing

Yes, but as I have always said do not do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. So unless you are giving up on Medicine don't even think about other courses.

If Extra / Clearing fails, just take a gap year, see if you can improve on your grades and reapply to standard undergrad medicine starting 2022.

Doing another degree just for GEM will just take longer, cost more and (more importantly) much more competitive. Even if you still have an inkling of wanting to do Medicine - take a gap year.

Pharmacy is not a backup for Medicine, it's a completely different career and vocation, you'd be likely to work in a different location, have a lower salary, career progression may not be guaranteed etc.

Reply 85
Yeah that makes sense. Firstly this is my gap year:frown: and also pharmacy has always been my second option but off course medicine is my priority im gonna try very hard in clearing to get a place even with my unfortunate stats.
Original post by Uni234
Yeah that makes sense. Firstly this is my gap year:frown: and also pharmacy has always been my second option but off course medicine is my priority im gonna try very hard in clearing to get a place even with my unfortunate stats.

Sure, but my opinion is that even if this is your 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more gap years you should still keep trying if Medicine is your goal.

Yes you can do Pharmacy but if you picked that you'd need to accept that you have given up on Medicine because GEM is much harder than standard undergrad medicine to get in, basically.

Reply 87
Hi, I realise my situation is not the worst to possibly be in, but this years competition is FIERCE and would love some advice if at all possible! I've been rejected from 2 unis (Oxford (post-interview) and Edinburgh (pre-interview)) and am waiting on decisions from Bristol and Birmingham (both contextual, but not WP). My stats are UCAT 2890 B1, BMAT 5.1, 6.9, 4A. GCSES: 99999999888A^ A-Levels predicted: 4A*

This might just be the anxiety speaking but I've kind of been preparing for the worst (getting rejected from all 4) and looking into extra/clearing. If anyone has any advice for what to do right now, I would massively appreciate. I figure the most practical thing to do is wait, but it's absolutely killing me, so I wanted to get a plan b sorted just in case. If clearing/extra is something I do have to take, what would be a smart way to go about it, are there any strategic decisions I can make?
Original post by nwbsmed
Hi, I realise my situation is not the worst to possibly be in, but this years competition is FIERCE and would love some advice if at all possible! I've been rejected from 2 unis (Oxford (post-interview) and Edinburgh (pre-interview)) and am waiting on decisions from Bristol and Birmingham (both contextual, but not WP). My stats are UCAT 2890 B1, BMAT 5.1, 6.9, 4A. GCSES: 99999999888A^ A-Levels predicted: 4A*

This might just be the anxiety speaking but I've kind of been preparing for the worst (getting rejected from all 4) and looking into extra/clearing. If anyone has any advice for what to do right now, I would massively appreciate. I figure the most practical thing to do is wait, but it's absolutely killing me, so I wanted to get a plan b sorted just in case. If clearing/extra is something I do have to take, what would be a smart way to go about it, are there any strategic decisions I can make?

No there is nothing special you need to do, I would wait until you do get 4 rejections before thinking about that though.

Come back here if you do have all rejections, which hopefully won't be the case - an example: the OP of the "2021 Medicine Rejects thread" got an offer.

It's easy to overthink, but don't think about the worst just yet.

Reply 89
Thank you so much! I feel I just needed a bit of reassurance aha, massively appreciate it, and appreciate everything you do for the med entrants of TSR!
Thank you I get it now. So I am still pending from 2 universities on track but they emailed me to say I’ve been rejected so I have to wait until they update track before I can apply to another course? And I’m not sure where I will have the best chances of getting in so not sure which to pick for my extra choice, can you advise on unis likely to accept contextual/wp students for medicine with foundation year or standard entry medicine? I have A*BBC achieved grades and 2500 UCAT. Thank you in advance
Original post by edicarlo
Thank you I get it now. So I am still pending from 2 universities on track but they emailed me to say I’ve been rejected so I have to wait until they update track before I can apply to another course?

Yes, or you can withdraw from them if it's already 25th Feb and it's still pending.

And I’m not sure where I will have the best chances of getting in so not sure which to pick for my extra choice, can you advise on unis likely to accept contextual/wp students for medicine with foundation year or standard entry medicine? I have A*BBC achieved grades and 2500 UCAT. Thank you in advance

Hmmm we'll see which medical school goes into it first, you'd still be expected to achieve the normal entry requirements.

Previously most Medicine with a Foundation Year courses enter Clearing with only one (Glasgow A990) which entered Extra. I don't think widening participation applies during Clearing but I would be happy to be corrected.

This is a dumb q but I’ve only done the UCAT, so I’m guessing I wouldn’t be able to apply to BMAT medical unis through clearing/extra, right?
Reply 93
I don’t have that much hope on ucas extra. I have more hope in clearing.
Reply 94
Do you think their will be more unis going clearing or more spaces as this yr their were more rejections than ever due to the competition
Reply 95
Original post by 1234luna
This is a dumb q but I’ve only done the UCAT, so I’m guessing I wouldn’t be able to apply to BMAT medical unis through clearing/extra, right?

Correct. Med schools have the same (or even higher) requirements during Extra and Clearing as they do during the standard application cycle
Reply 96
Original post by Uni234
Do you think their will be more unis going clearing or more spaces as this yr their were more rejections than ever due to the competition

I suspect many med schools will make fewer offers, due to the uncertainty over A levels and grade inflation, and may well run a reserve list of people they have already interviewed who narrowly missed an offer, rather than go into clearing with all the associated hassle
Original post by GANFYD
I suspect many med schools will make fewer offers, due to the uncertainty over A levels and grade inflation, and may well run a reserve list of people they have already interviewed who narrowly missed an offer, rather than go into clearing with all the associated hassle

Will they contact these people on results day by email? Or would we have to call them up to ask?
Original post by 1234luna

Just to add to what GANFYD has correctly said - BMAT unis, for some reason, tend not to enter Extra and Clearing.

Last year we had Lancaster med school in Extra, and St John's College Cambridge was in Clearing for Medicine. The latter was possibly a mistake or administrative reason. But there were way more UCAT med schools / courses in Extra / Clearing as you can see in the first post of this thread.

Original post by Uni234

I don't think there will be more spaces, if anything it'll either be similar to last year or less spaces.

Reply 99
Original post by Aethomson
Will they contact these people on results day by email? Or would we have to call them up to ask?

I do not know if this practice will be more widespread than usual (it has happened at some med schools for years), but unis get results a few days before students, so they usually contact people at or around results day. But if they have intimated you performed well, or you are on a waiting list, no harm in calling them if you make your grades :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending