need urgent help regarding gcse options (deadline-today)

Watch
eukiya
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hiya! i’ll make this quick.

I’m choosing my GCSE’s right now, aiming for a degree at Oxbridge/top uni and career in law/politics, probably to be a barrister.

i’ve settled on:

french
history
business studies
geography
chinese
chemistry

and currently debating over psychology and physics.

my current thinking is that there is no way i can apply to Oxford/Cambridge with a single science gcse, so i thought to take physics as well. however i’ve heard psychology is more beneficial.

for the record, i’m average at physics but i’m not great at maths
Last edited by eukiya; 3 months ago
bushelboi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd go for physics personally. Not to be stuck up, but it seems to be more traditionally respected than psychology. Its also not too hard if ur ok at maths
Good luck!
AnxiousNobody
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Isn't it compulsory to do all three sciences for GCSE?
Physics is probably more advisable.
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by bushelboi)
I'd go for physics personally. Not to be stuck up, but it seems to be more traditionally respected than psychology. Its also not too hard if ur ok at maths
Good luck!
i’m really not great at maths, but i’ll work hard to make sure i’m up to standards
Baabaabinks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Only GCSE results matter for Oxbridge. Do what you’re good at and what you like. If you like psychology more, or even art, do it. Not everything needs to be related to your future career.
alipurple
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are you an international student? Usually maths, English language, English literature, biology, chemistry and physics are compulsory for GCSE. I would say pick physics
bushelboi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Baabaabinks)
Only GCSE results matter for Oxbridge. Do what you’re good at and what you like. If you like psychology more, or even art, do it. Not everything needs to be related to your future career.
Actually yeah, I take back what I said abt physics being more respected - idrk, that was just based on pure prejudice. Just do ur best in GCSEs and make sure to cultivate outside interests as well!
eukiya
Rep:
?
thanks everyone that contributed to this thread! i just submitted my options form, and no, i’m not an international student. i go to a private school in wales and that’s just our available choices.

final form:

history
business
chinese
french
chemistry
physics
geography

ended up choosing physics because my dad is a chartered engineer and is able to help me
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by bushelboi)
Actually yeah, I take back what I said abt physics being more respected - idrk, that was just based on pure prejudice. Just do ur best in GCSEs and make sure to cultivate outside interests as well!
don’t worry! i totally agree with both of you but in the end decided on physics as i didn’t want to be left with a single science, and my dad is able to help me with physics as well
eukiya
Rep:
?
(Original post by alipurple)
Are you an international student? Usually maths, English language, English literature, biology, chemistry and physics are compulsory for GCSE. I would say pick physics
not an international student, but i go to a fairly international private school and those were just the 2021 options, so yeah
Baabaabinks
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’d imagine that English Lang and maths are compulsory and these are just OP’s options- cuz you can’t get into any unis without English and Maths.

(Original post by alipurple)
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by eukiya)
hiya! i’ll make this quick.

I’m choosing my GCSE’s right now, aiming for a degree at Oxbridge/top uni and career in law/politics, probably to be a barrister.

i’ve settled on:

french
history
business studies
geography
chinese
chemistry

and currently debating over psychology and physics.

my current thinking is that there is no way i can apply to Oxford/Cambridge with a single science gcse, so i thought to take physics as well. however i’ve heard psychology is more beneficial.

for the record, i’m average at physics but i’m not great at maths
Well Physics is related to more maths however, physics is better than psychology it is more respected if you want to apply for oxford and cambridge, i would pick physics if i were you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.82%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
62.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads