The Student Room Group

How to get an 8 or above in maths gcse

I do past papers at least once a week for maths and i keep getting 7s (low 50s e.g 49-54 marks out of 80), can someone help me?
Reply 1
Could you explain what specifically do when you say "past papers"?

Asking because doing past papers once a week is not bad in IGCSE, especially if you're following up with the right stuff (looking at your mistakes, re-attempting questions you got wrong and learning how to do them again, etc.)
Reply 2
for maths, its all about practising questions, use physics and maths tutor as well as corbettmaths
Original post by VentureCommunist
I do past papers at least once a week for maths and i keep getting 7s (low 50s e.g 49-54 marks out of 80), can someone help me?

Do you drop marks through silly mistakes or through not understanding a topic? It could just be there's a few topics you don't get and need to go over in depth to get higher marks. Also the CGP book 'targeted grade 8 and 9 practice book' is great for practicing the hardest qs to get the top grade:
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mx9q42-gcse-maths-edexcel-grade-8-9-targeted-exam

I've been predicted a 9 since year 9 (now i'm year 11). If I were you, I would go over the questions I got wrong. For Example : if I got an algebra question wrong, I would go over simple and advanced algebra then once I feel confident, try questions based off that topic and move onto another one. Once I covered all the topics I struggle with, I would attempt past papers I haven't completed.
You could find videos of topics on youtube if you type in the topic.

It sounds like you aren't learning from your mistakes. You need to look at the types of questions you're getting wrong and the types of marks you lose. You should also be doing ALL the questions from your class textbook to practice particular topics.
Physics and Maths tutor has really good past paper questions. Also use any resources your school has signed up for e.g MyMaths, DrFrost

I'm doing A-level maths (year 13) - if I see a common question, I write it down with a generic method so I can use that for other questions in different contexts
Reply 7
guys check this channel out, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdF3KB9kb7h5p1Hk1hwZRJA
he will be posting igcse videos very soon so stay tuned

Quick Reply

Latest