Shia_K
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im finding Biology extremely hard to cope with. The content isn’t particularly hard to understand, it’s more of a time problem and the fact that I have gaps in my knowledge. I feel as if there isn’t much time to do so much. What do I do? How do I efficiently revise and get bigger grades 🥺
Embz1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I would say the most effective way I studied biology (and all my subjects, but I was particularly successful with bio, i'm now doing a masters in biomed) is checklists, and active recall of knowledge. Find a detailed checklist for your spec (if you google personalised learning checklist and your exam board they usually come up) so you can find specific gaps in your knowledge rather than just thinking about it in big chapters. Also, probably the most useful tool I used for revision (which I used through all fo my undergrad too) is brainscape. Its a free online flashcard service, but its great because you rank the cards based on how well you know them and then the ones you're less confident with come up more often. There are loads of decks people have made for various topics and courses and its way more effective that just reading the text book. Also once you're more familiar with the content, use past paper questions to practise applying the knowledge. Physics and maths tutor has loads of bio past papers too. Just make sure you're actively revising and recalling knowledge either by doing questions (or I also found trying to make mindmaps about a topic from memory helpful too bc i'm a visual learner) rather than just passively reading because you'll remember and understand way less that way.
val7322
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Shia_KEmbz1234

Flashcards an amazing form of revision, but they can be made even better with spaced repetition.

Space repetition basically, spaces different aspects of the content you have for your revision over time, so it stays in your long-term memory.

It has been proven that spaced repetition is a vital factor to retain information in your cognitive memory

Brainscape uses both spaced repetition and flashcards. It also challenges the weakest areas of your knowledge as difficult concepts are studied more frequently than the easier ones.

Before Brainscape I was getting 6s in triple science, history and RE. With Brainscape I've been able to get all 9s apart from in English and Spanish. And these are just mock results!

The only downside is that Brainscape is a bit pricy with subscription prices of £7.05 per month, £42.42 per year, £29.59 per 6 months and £91.70 for a lifetime.

BUT, if you use my discount code LEARN02VF you get 20% off

Also if you are studying GCSE triple science aqa 9-1 and studying Edexcel history (American west, Elizabeth and Weimar), here's a link to my profile where you can study these cards:

https://www.brainscape.com/profiles/5241617
Abdullah 12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi , on brainscape there are only limited decks available which is an issue as its pricey
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (172)
41.05%
The paper was reasonable (190)
45.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (36)
8.59%
It was TERRIBLE (21)
5.01%

Watched Threads