Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I would like to know what people's opinions are on living in these cities (not the unis, the actual cities)? which is cheaper to live in, which has more shops, restaurants, cinemas etc, which is safer and which has better train/bus links to outside of the city?

sorry for all the questions!
Anonymous #1
which place is cheaper to live, which has more amenities, which is safer and which has more train links to other cities?
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Lived in Sheffield can't comment on Leeds, Sheffield can be quite cheap to live in, but the town centre is not that great, meadowhall is good but need to get the tram there. The train station is good, and has lots of locations to get to, goes to London, Manchester, Nottingham etc. Cinema is in the city centre, but there are a lot of things to do just outside the city so on the tram, which was quite cheap. I always felt safe. In first year the accommodation was about 30 min walk from city centre/clubs/uni we would always walk, as there is 2 large students villages along the way so often at night quite a few students around.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cheesybread)
Lived in Sheffield can't comment on Leeds, Sheffield can be quite cheap to live in, but the town centre is not that great, meadowhall is good but need to get the tram there. The train station is good, and has lots of locations to get to, goes to London, Manchester, Nottingham etc. Cinema is in the city centre, but there are a lot of things to do just outside the city so on the tram, which was quite cheap. I always felt safe. In first year the accommodation was about 30 min walk from city centre/clubs/uni we would always walk, as there is 2 large students villages along the way so often at night quite a few students around.
ok thanks!
Embz1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've lived in sheffield for 4 years, only visited leeds once so can't really comment. But i love sheffield, the city centre is pretty much like any other, most highstreet shops and restaurants plus some nice independent cafes. Kelham Island, division street and eccalsall road are great for independent shops and restaurants, esp Kelham island (its a really cool up and coming place). Theres meadowhall and valley centertainment for all things related to shopping, cinemas, bowling, ice rink etc. They city itself doesn't feel massive, but theres everything you need. Its really green, loads of lovely parks to walk around and you're a 20 min drive from the peaks. I'd say its pretty safe in most areas, obviously all big cities have their problems but myself or anyone I know has never had a problem (and i'm a 55kilo woman) Loads of good bars and clubs (I think a lot are quite studenty but that might just be because they're the only ones i've been to). Transport is great, the bus services are good and pretty cheap and the tram is a bit more expensive but is a bit quicker, and then the train and coach stations are pretty big. I'd say everything is pretty cheap (but i'm originally from the south where its £5 a pint so my idea of cheap might be a bit skewed). But overall sheffield is a lovely place to live, pretty underrated imo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (72)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.56%

Watched Threads