The Student Room Group

Can I not go on a placement year?

Hi there, I'm an 2nd year european student on student loan, enrolled in a 4 year programme.

Is it possible to switch to a 3 year programme and start my final year in autumn? If yes, how should I address this to my university?

In my university, the placement year is NOT spent in the industry but in the university. They told us to find summer placements so that we can go back to uni for a 3rd year.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I'm an 2nd year european student on student loan, enrolled in a 4 year programme.

Is it possible to switch to a 3 year programme and start my final year in autumn? If yes, how should I address this to my university?

In my university, the placement year is NOT spent in the industry but in the university. They told us to find summer placements so that we can go back to uni for a 3rd year.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Anon.,

While I was taking my undergraduate degree I had to switch from a 4 year programme down to 3 year too! I just had to contact my student hub and ask for a course transfer form! It may be different with other universities so you may want to get in contact with your course leader and they can point you in the right direction :smile:

Megan
University of Hull student rep
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi Anon.,

While I was taking my undergraduate degree I had to switch from a 4 year programme down to 3 year too! I just had to contact my student hub and ask for a course transfer form! It may be different with other universities so you may want to get in contact with your course leader and they can point you in the right direction :smile:

Megan

What about the student finance company?

Thanks in advance!

Is your course offfered without this option? For some degrees the 'year out' is integral but in others its optional. Talk to them ...
What about the student finance company?

Hi!

When I switched course this updated on student finance for me when I enrolled for my third year. Once you have completed the course switch you could get in touch with SFE directly or your student finance department at your university to double check :smile:

Good luck with your final year!!

Megan
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Is your course offfered without this option? For some degrees the 'year out' is integral but in others its optional. Talk to them ...

Yes, initially I went for a 3 year course but the staff put us all (100+ students) on a 4 year course. I was surprised to find this one out this year.
Yes, initially I went for a 3 year course but the staff put us all (100+ students) on a 4 year course. I was surprised to find this one out this year.

OK - it should be a case of talking to your tutor/course director and confirming it in writing.
Reply 7
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi!

When I switched course this updated on student finance for me when I enrolled for my third year. Once you have completed the course switch you could get in touch with SFE directly or your student finance department at your university to double check :smile:

Good luck with your final year!!

Megan

This is very helpful, thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest