The Student Room Group

Gcse option

So I’m kinda struggling with two subjects to choose as my last option which is geography and philosophy and ethics. I would automatically do philosophy and ethics but from what I know it will be a short course and after finishing it I will be doing an IT course. I don’t mind IT at all, I’m just wondering if it worth it. We’re going to debate on topics such as crime & punishment, war, abortion etc. now geography from what I’ve heard is boring though I checked the contents it’s the same as I’m doing but a bit further and that I feel comfortable knowing that it’s just that if geography is worth it. My dream careers are anything related to law and art so yeah.
Reply 1
Hi, I did Geography and it was ok. A bit boring at times, but you get to go on school trips (at my school anyway). It's just a matter of remembering content, but as a humanity, I think it's a good one if you want to do law. It's not too hard either, I didn't focus on it particularly but it was my second best grade at GCSE and now I'm doing it for A level.
Reply 2
Original post by Skatie
Hi, I did Geography and it was ok. A bit boring at times, but you get to go on school trips (at my school anyway). It's just a matter of remembering content, but as a humanity, I think it's a good one if you want to do law. It's not too hard either, I didn't focus on it particularly but it was my second best grade at GCSE and now I'm doing it for A level.

I totally agree with that. I took geography for GCSE too and I barely ever revised for my exams but I managed to get a 7 - and to be fair, the content starts to feel a lot more like common sense when you understand it. And the trips we got to go on were a bonus!
Reply 3
Original post by I_stress_a_lot
So I’m kinda struggling with two subjects to choose as my last option which is geography and philosophy and ethics. I would automatically do philosophy and ethics but from what I know it will be a short course and after finishing it I will be doing an IT course. I don’t mind IT at all, I’m just wondering if it worth it. We’re going to debate on topics such as crime & punishment, war, abortion etc. now geography from what I’ve heard is boring though I checked the contents it’s the same as I’m doing but a bit further and that I feel comfortable knowing that it’s just that if geography is worth it. My dream careers are anything related to law and art so yeah.

I did religion and ethics as well as geography and to be honest I personally prefer geography, but if you want to be a lawyer philosophy and ethics is really helpful and to be honest universities do not even care what subjects you take, just the grade you get in them. If you definitely prefer philosophy and ethics then do that, plus it may be more helpful for law and art then geography would be! So I would say do philosophy and ethics but both are good
unis won't care about the gcse subjects you take, just the grades you achieve in them. so it's best to take subjects you enjoy as it'll make it easier to get good grades in them. i did gcse geography and really enjoyed it, found a good bit of it common sense and most of it really interesting but obviously this'll depend on your interests.

Quick Reply

Latest