A-level economics - need help evaluating a point!!!

Watch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
The question is about the extent to which economies of scale are beneficial. I've made a point about how economies of scale contribute to lowered average costs, increased returns to scale, raised profits etc.
I'm struggling to evaluate the extent to which these benefits would be seen though.

What factors would affect how the benefits could be weakened, for instance?

Cheers!
Last edited by 9109; 8 months ago
syca
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You could bring up diseconomies of scale, when the business has grown too large to manage and experiences the complete opposite of what you’ve stated. There’s also the point of competition, where smaller businesses actually have an upper-hand compared to larger businesses who have economies of scale. This is the case for customer-oriented services that require a more personal approach as smaller firms have the time to directly build that customer loyalty and get hands-on consumer knowledge.

Hope this helped!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by syca)
You could bring up diseconomies of scale, when the business has grown too large to manage and experiences the complete opposite of what you’ve stated. There’s also the point of competition, where smaller businesses actually have an upper-hand compared to larger businesses who have economies of scale. This is the case for customer-oriented services that require a more personal approach as smaller firms have the time to directly build that customer loyalty and get hands-on consumer knowledge.

Hope this helped!
thanks sm! you've really helped dig me out of a hole hehe!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (8)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (2)
14.29%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
7.14%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
21.43%

Watched Threads