The Student Room Group

American teens look older than they are

Im from England and honestly American teens look so much older than they are. Im not just talking about teens in movies being played by older actors/actresses, if you look on social media there are many influencers from America that are young but look like an adult. Americans probably dont see this but im sure others can agree. Most girls in England look their age or slightly younger or older, but in America, all the girls look like they have already been through puberty years ago when they are probably still going through it. i cant be the only one that thinks it. i probably didnt explain it well but someone must understand
The outward facade of social media influencers is no more real than the actors in the media you referred to previously.

I can assure you, being American and having a lot of family still living there, most teenagers look just as gangly and weird and awkward as they do here. In fact probably more so because American "fashion" is awful...the default outfit for guys is basketball shorts and oversized shirts for example :tongue:
Original post by tabatha yates
Im from England and honestly American teens look so much older than they are. Im not just talking about teens in movies being played by older actors/actresses, if you look on social media there are many influencers from America that are young but look like an adult. Americans probably dont see this but im sure others can agree. Most girls in England look their age or slightly younger or older, but in America, all the girls look like they have already been through puberty years ago when they are probably still going through it. i cant be the only one that thinks it. i probably didnt explain it well but someone must understand

I totally agree. I'm in Y13 rn and see videos of people in Year 13 equivalent which is Senior Year in America, and they look is much older than me.
They dress very differently and all have much nicer cars then UK 17/18yo's but physically I dont think they look any older, almost the same.
It seems like most american girls are also a bit taller, more keen on smart looking designer fashion items and start wearing makeup earlier than almost all girls in the uk.
This often makes them appear older.
Maybe the height difference is connected to the added folic acid or types of hormones & chemicals widely present within the food chain as regards american produced poultry, dairy, meat and veg.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
It seems like most american girls are also a bit taller, more keen on smart looking designer fashion items and start wearing makeup earlier than almost all girls in the uk.
This often makes them appear older.
Maybe the height difference is connected to the added folic acid or types of hormones & chemicals widely present within the food chain as regards american produced poultry, dairy, meat and veg.

fun fact: American women have significantly larger breasts on average than british women...

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by tabatha yates

The males as well tbh.

Some of these American "teens" I see in movies look older than me ....:rofl:

I started watching vampire diaries recently and that main dude is supposed to be in school, but he honestly looks 26-28!

A quick google search revealed that the actor IRL was actually around 26 when it was made....

Quick Reply

Latest