Is learning to drive worth it?

Watch
themartinipolice
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im in year 12 and I was wanting to start learning once we get out of lockdown but now I'm unsure. I have about 1500 in savings and I earn about 100 a week, 200ish a week in half terms and summer. But I really want to quit my job for year 13. Realistically I could definitely save up enough for a cheap car and some insurance, but it would end up costing my most of my savings.

If I want to start learning, I probably wouldn't be able to pass until end of summer, early y13 at the earliest looking at the backlog of people. So I wouldn't need to drive to work (as I would have quit), although I could potentially work a few months into year 13 as it would cut my commute time down massively if I had already passed. I can't drive to sixth form as there is absolutely zero parking anywhere near, as its in the city. So, this makes me think it's not worth getting a car. But then should I even bother spending potentially near £1000 of lessons and tests etc if I don't want to drive.

I could take it to uni as I'm looking at some more 'in the middle of nowhere unis" but I'm also looking at city unis and I've heard people advise against taking a car to uni, at least in first year.

Then there's the consideration that I want to apply for medicine, this means a few years down the line I may need to drive for placements in the clinical years, it would be beneficial to have a license, maybe it's easier and cheaper to learn now than later. I also may not get into med on my first attempt, and might get a full time job for which I would want to drive obviously.

Anybody have any advice, it's a big financial undertaking.
Last edited by themartinipolice; 3 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.
I believe that learning to drive as a teenager is worth it.
But car insurance premiums for new young male drivers are far from cheap.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Learning to drive is definitely worth it. You don't need to get a car straight away. I passed my driving test over 2 years ago and have never driven since but if I want to get a car for placement (I'm currently studying medicine), then I don't have to worry about learning to drive.
BethRandell16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Learning to drive now, when you have the savings and the time and no pressure to actually NEED the license is a good idea. You don’t actually need to buy the car. But when you leave school/graduate from uni suddenly you realise a car is very, very useful and even required for some careers and you don’t want to waste time and money learning then
2003a39
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely worth it, I'm in Y12 and just started reading my Theory test book.
blackcurrantt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm in y13 and chose not to because of the costs and I have no interest in driving so it would just drain my savings
2adanaC
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That is a polar question, which has plenty of different answers. It is usuful to have a car, as it will get you from a to b, but sometimes walking or riding a bike is better for your health.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
Im in year 12 and I was wanting to start learning once we get out of lockdown but now I'm unsure. I have about 1500 in savings and I earn about 100 a week, 200ish a week in half terms and summer. But I really want to quit my job for year 13. Realistically I could definitely save up enough for a cheap car and some insurance, but it would end up costing my most of my savings.

If I want to start learning, I probably wouldn't be able to pass until end of summer, early y13 at the earliest looking at the backlog of people. So I wouldn't need to drive to work (as I would have quit), although I could potentially work a few months into year 13 as it would cut my commute time down massively if I had already passed. I can't drive to sixth form as there is absolutely zero parking anywhere near, as its in the city. So, this makes me think it's not worth getting a car. But then should I even bother spending potentially near £1000 of lessons and tests etc if I don't want to drive.

I could take it to uni as I'm looking at some more 'in the middle of nowhere unis" but I'm also looking at city unis and I've heard people advise against taking a car to uni, at least in first year.

Then there's the consideration that I want to apply for medicine, this means a few years down the line I may need to drive for placements in the clinical years, it would be beneficial to have a license, maybe it's easier and cheaper to learn now than later. I also may not get into med on my first attempt, and might get a full time job for which I would want to drive obviously.

Anybody have any advice, it's a big financial undertaking.
Yes - it's worth learning but share a family car at the beginning. Then you can build up experience, NCD and get a few years older. Then when you NEED a car you can get one and insurance will be cheaper.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it's unlikely you'll pass by the end of summer or even the start of autumn with the way things are looking.

There's people who had tests booked right at the start of the year who have been pushed back by months, but the problem is that no one knows when tests will be able to start up again. I have my practical test booked for next month and it's unlikely I'll get to sit mine. And if you haven't taken your theory test either, you'll be waiting to book that in and pass it before you can book a practical test as well.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 week ago
6lack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I dunno.. I passed my test like 18 months ago and Im 30.. I cant say it hindered me not having one previously but then again I had a motorbike so Id ride it to work etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (515)
51.29%
No (489)
48.71%

Watched Threads