The Student Room Group

Want to get into medicine/dentistry but don’t have grades

Hi so I am wanting to get into medicine or dentistry but don’t have the sufficient grades. I am leaning more towards dentistry and my a level subjects Physics, Chemistry and psychology.

A family member had died which effected my grades and my attendance so I had gotten CCD as a result. I then decided to retake however last year my exam centre refused to give out CAG grades. I had decided to take my psychology exam in the autumn ( the subject where I received a D ) and achieved a C in which I was disappointed.

I am now trying to aim to get A’s in my chemistry and physics. I was wondering on where I could apply with AAC and with chemistry and physics as a levels as I thought that majority universities only accept chemistry and biology.

Are there any universities that will accept me with clearing or any transfers to medicine or dentistry in the second year?

I also haven’t done my UCAT or BMAT.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm not sure which unis will allow you to get in for medicine without ucat or bmat, but if you really want to do med/dentistry then applying next year would still be worth it. Some unis will allow you to apply with AAC if you meet contextual offers based on your household income/school/postcode. When I applied for medicine at bristol last year, my offer was: AAC/ABB because of where I lived, so researching different unis and looking on their websites if you qualify for a lower offer will be useful. Also, there are still plenty of unis that will allow you into med without bio so I don't think that should be a problem (not sure about dentistry as I didn't apply for it sorry! )Hope this helped in some way and good luck!
Original post by Abcd345
Hi so I am wanting to get into medicine or dentistry but don’t have the sufficient grades. I am leaning more towards dentistry and my a level subjects Physics, Chemistry and psychology.

A family member had died which effected my grades and my attendance so I had gotten CCD as a result. I then decided to retake however last year my exam centre refused to give out CAG grades. I had decided to take my psychology exam in the autumn ( the subject where I received a D ) and achieved a C in which I was disappointed.

I am now trying to aim to get A’s in my chemistry and physics. I was wondering on where I could apply with AAC and with chemistry and physics as a levels as I thought that majority universities only accept chemistry and biology.

Are there any universities that will accept me with clearing or any transfers to medicine or dentistry in the second year?

I also haven’t done my UCAT or BMAT.

Any advice will be appreciated!

@Mesopotamian.
First you need to clarify whether you want to go into medicine or dentistry.

For dentistry, there are only about 3 or 4 unis at the top of my head which accept chemistry without biology. At least 2 of them don’t accept resits. You could try and ask admissions teams individually if they’ll accept your extenuating circumstances. Dentistry is rarely in clearing - medicine is more commonly in clearing.
Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements

can give you a medicine pep-talk.

Thanks - I saw 2 replies pop up whilst I was typing and I tagged ecolier even though he got here before me :rofl:

Blame my sister for distracting me :angry:
(edited 3 years ago)
I know :shakecane:
Reply 6
Original post by waterisntblue
Hey, I'm not sure which unis will allow you to get in for medicine without ucat or bmat, but if you really want to do med/dentistry then applying next year would still be worth it. Some unis will allow you to apply with AAC if you meet contextual offers based on your household income/school/postcode. When I applied for medicine at bristol last year, my offer was: AAC/ABB because of where I lived, so researching different unis and looking on their websites if you qualify for a lower offer will be useful. Also, there are still plenty of unis that will allow you into med without bio so I don't think that should be a problem (not sure about dentistry as I didn't apply for it sorry! )Hope this helped in some way and good luck!

Thank you!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Thanks - I saw 2 replies whilst I was typing and I tagged ecolier even though he got here before me :rofl:

Blame my sister for distracting me :angry:

Ahaha I nearly tagged ecolier aswell but I assumed he would be here before I finished typing. :yes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
I luckily have relevant work experience for both, it’s just my grades but thank you I’ll take your advice on board!
Original post by heldbygrace
Ahaha I nearly tagged ecolier aswell but I assumed he would be here before I finished typing. :yes:

Accurate description, happens 9/10 times :lol:
Reply 10
First you need to clarify whether you want to go into medicine or dentistry.

For dentistry, there are only about 3 or 4 unis at the top of my head which accept chemistry without biology. At least 2 of them don’t accept resits. You could try and ask admissions teams individually if they’ll accept your extenuating circumstances. Dentistry is rarely in clearing - medicine is more commonly in clearing.
Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements

@ecolier can give you a medicine pep-talk.

Do you know what university will accept resits for dentistry? As I think I would prefer to dentistry
Original post by Abcd345
Do you know what university will accept resits for dentistry? As I think I would prefer to dentistry

It’s in the link I provided.
That’s because you’re scared of having your finger bitten off :rofl:
That’s because you’re scared of having your finger bitten off :rofl:

Decreasing the speed at which he can reply to threads :giggle:
Reply 14
It’s in the link I provided.

Ok thanks!
You could try doing foundation entry med or widening access med but check u fit the criteria. They usually require BBC
Reply 16
I’m very indecisive, I think I would prefer doing dentistry as I like the practical side. However it’s more competitive and I don’t think many universities will take me on since I have done a physics a level instead of biology.
Reply 17
Original post by studybuddy1302
You could try doing foundation entry med or widening access med but check u fit the criteria. They usually require BBC

I didn’t know universities do foundation for medicine but thanks I’ll keep that on board :smile:
Reply 18
Yes true, but I also preferred the work environment too. It seemed more calmer and less stressful than the hospital.
Original post by heldbygrace
Decreasing the speed at which he can reply to threads :giggle:

And then we can enact the plan we discussed in our top-secret PMs :gfight:

Quick Reply

Latest