Can you do a masters unrelated to your undergrad?

Watch
something_orphic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am not even at uni yet (so this is not something i am really considering) but it popped up in conversation and i would like to know. I know nothing about masters so this probably does sound like a dumb question.

I assume you couldn't in science but what about humanities? Could you do a joint honours undegrad and then do a joint honours masters thats unrelated?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.
I've done postgrads unrelated to my undergrad.
Sometimes unis will check postgrad applications, qualifications & employment history, then suggest a more suitable course that has unconditional places available.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dependant on the course you are looking at, yes, you can.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.
I've done postgrads unrelated to my undergrad.
Sometimes unis will check postgrad applications, qualifications & employment history, then suggest a more suitable course that has unconditional places available.
Thank you thats actually really cool. So if a course is less popular (and it is suitable) does that mean you are more likely to get on it?
something_orphic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Dependant on the course you are looking at, yes, you can.
Thank you. I didnt realise this and i was just curious and wanted to know for future reference. For some reason i thought you had to do a masters that was the same subject as your undergrad aha.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
Thank you thats actually really cool. So if a course is less popular (and it is suitable) does that mean you are more likely to get on it?
Yes.
But always trust your gut instinct and visit the uni campus first before applying.
If you get a sense of a very bad vibe during a visit or hear allegations of widespread serious criminality at a specific uni/campus- run for the hills.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am not even at uni yet (so this is not something i am really considering) but it popped up in conversation and i would like to know. I know nothing about masters so this probably does sound like a dumb question.

I assume you couldn't in science but what about humanities? Could you do a joint honours undegrad and then do a joint honours masters thats unrelated?
HI something_orphic

It is great that you are considering studying a postgraduate degree after an undergraduate degree.

In part, it will depend on the degree subject which you are considering studying at masters level and your undergraduate degree.
There are several types of Masters degrees - MA, MRes, MSc, MEd, MMus to list but a few, and the entry requirements for the different classification will vary and so when you are considering studying these degrees I would advise checking the university course entry requirements and contacting their postgraduate admissions team if you are unsure.

I had a few of my friends who I studied my undergraduate degree in History with go on to do an MSc Advertising and Marketing degree for their masters.
One of my other friends studied her Undergraduate degree in Youth Work and Community Development and then completed her MMus in Music.

Hope that this is helpful

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Arden University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hey something_orphic,

Yes you can :-) I am doing a Psychology Conversion Course, which was design for students like me who did not do a Psychology undergrad degree. I have people on my course who studied a whole range of other subjects at undergrad level. As the years go on, degrees in different subjects get added to universities programmes so by the time you get there, there will be even more choice.

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%