The Student Room Group

I'm a Christian but I don't like being around other believers...

So I've had loads of ups and downs in my faith journey as I've been through a lot of things particularly regarding my mental health and who I surround myself with. I'm a lot more open minded when it comes to meeting people outside the church now than before as I've come to realise that not all church people understand mental illness. However, although I'm a Christian, I do believe that some Christians that I know have been brainwashed as they won't speak to me about anything other than God, the Bible or church. Because of this it's driving me nuts. Am I right to distance myself from these people or should I be okay with this?
Yes.
Always put your mental health and physical safety first. :smile:
Alas, so many vicious and controlling people seek to use religion or harsh religious indoctrination as their favourite weapon.
Good luck!
As a Christian I do enjoy being able to talk about faith etc with other people who believe the same, but I also like having normal convos about more than just church. I think you need to find people who are more likeminded in that regard, and less 'boring'. I personally wouldn't recommend distancing yourself completely form them but to just find a good community of believers that you get on with but who also take the effort to know you and your struggles instead of just repeating empty quotes at you.

Unfortunately the church is full of people who are more concerned with playing god than actually following God. Never feel bad about avoiding those types of 'christians' because they are crap. Not worth your time at all
Totally agree with londonmyst and alexschmalex. I feel for you. I'm Roman Catholic and have schizoaffective disorder (which is kinda like a combo of schizophrenia and bipolar). Religious friends/acquaintances of mine haven't always understood that I'm not possessed, I'm just mentally ill. I remember one friend, when I first developed psychosis in 2010, saying he'd found a really nice exorcist to take me to, and I was like :lolwut: I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He didn't mean it in a nasty way - he was just trying to assist in the only way he knew - but yeah, not helpful :colonhash:

Ultimately, what you need in life is people who will build you up in a way that is helpful to/supportive for you :yep: Mental illness isn't always the easiest thing for others to understand, but you do need to 100% safeguard yourself from people/communities who are likely to do (more) damage :sadnod: So do keep such people at arm's length.

As a final point: some of the best support you'll find - even with faith matters - can come from those outside of the church! I personally feel having a mix of friends of different beliefs and from different walks of life has the potential to be enriching :yep:

Solidarity with you :hugs:
Original post by Diva11
So I've had loads of ups and downs in my faith journey as I've been through a lot of things particularly regarding my mental health and who I surround myself with. I'm a lot more open minded when it comes to meeting people outside the church now than before as I've come to realise that not all church people understand mental illness. However, although I'm a Christian, I do believe that some Christians that I know have been brainwashed as they won't speak to me about anything other than God, the Bible or church. Because of this it's driving me nuts. Am I right to distance myself from these people or should I be okay with this?

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having to experience this. :frown:

Unfortunately it’s true that sometimes people from the church don’t understand mental health. I myself have experienced this and it’s really really hurts, because not only does it make you doubt yourself, it also makes you doubt Jesus.

Distance yourself from anyone who doesn’t make you feel better, because you are going to struggle to recover if you constantly feel people are against you. Don’t feel guilty about knowing people who aren’t in the church it’s ok. However I would really encourage you to grow closer to people who are in the church and benefit your mental health because these people can help grow your faith.

Jesus loves you so much. You are not alone in this and we are all here for you. X
Original post by Diva11

Praise Jesus
Glory Hallelujah Father Jesus
Pls Christian cannot brainwashed
We are water Baptized Holy Ghost filled believer's in Jesus.
Pls a born again believer is birth by the word of God
And we must speak to everyone the word of God the bible and church.
Praise Jesus
U see for one to get healing or deliverance
Or anything from God
We must speak or preach the word of God in season and out of season
Meaning always.
We don't help people
We don't heal people
We don't deliver people etc
But when we preach
Or pray or communicate to someone the word of God
God used his word to heal his people
Also to deliver his people etc.