Running and resistance training

Watch
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I'm trying to improve my running (5K) and build muscle through resistance training. I've done a few sessions where I've done a half hour couch-to-5k session followed by a legs set for example. The biggest thing I've noticed, unsurprisingly, is that I'm tired after running so my weight sessions end up not being as great as I'd like.

The solution would be to separate them but I'm not sure on the best format. I was giving myself a rest day so working my legs every other day. Would alternating running one day, resistance the next then back to running give my body enough chance to recover or would run, resistance, rest repeat be better? (if that makes sense)
Tracey_W
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
So I'm trying to improve my running (5K) and build muscle through resistance training. I've done a few sessions where I've done a half hour couch-to-5k session followed by a legs set for example. The biggest thing I've noticed, unsurprisingly, is that I'm tired after running so my weight sessions end up not being as great as I'd like.

The solution would be to separate them but I'm not sure on the best format. I was giving myself a rest day so working my legs every other day. Would alternating running one day, resistance the next then back to running give my body enough chance to recover or would run, resistance, rest repeat be better? (if that makes sense)
Hi

Your solution you said is exactly how to do this ok,
You can do both twice a week and give yourself rest days in between things as benefit still the same.
You tired probably over doing things at once so try what I said above for few weeks and see if it helps you ok
Are you doing warm up stretch exercises and same warm down after running .
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Time yourself. Do little and often several days and times a week for starters. Remember to fit in ten minutes of slowly paced warm up and cool off gentle exercises at the beginning and end of the fitness session as well. Eat properly in addition. You can find fitness books and equipment online, try to search around on Amazon using the search filters. Or see if you can borrow some resources from your local bookshop or library.
Contact a fitness trainer for some more specific fitness advice, you can hunt up one on Facebook. Also do try to read a few different fitness articles online, I know that the Guardian has some useful ones on their site. Start off searching on there. Focus on your exercise needs. Forget the irrelevant ones. Work hard on your weak areas in question. Remember to rest and breathe. Combine exercise and meditation for the best results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%