david221
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am planning on applying for medicine and biomedical science in Scotland 2022. For my S6 subjects I am taking Higher chemistry AH biology and I need a 3rd subject either AH maths or AH history. I was just wondering if not doing AH maths would be a bad decision? I like maths and history but I thought I could use history to break my subjects up and hopefully get an AH grade out of it, but do you think I should take maths instead?

Does anybody have any advice on this? I know doing either degrees there will be a lot of maths but do you think you could get away with not taking AH maths? I am predicted an A in higher maths.

Thanks for any help!!
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
for medicine:
if you look at the subject requirements for Scottish medical schools, they only exist for higher and national 5 subjects (there are none for AH subjects basically) whereas if you look at English/Welsh/Irish medical schools they expcility state they want AH bio + AH chem + another science AH at 3As

there are only grade requirements for the end of S6 of 2Bs-3Bs (or if you apply to Glasgow with 2AHs + 1 Higher then the offer you have to meet is AB for AH subjects plus B in the higher)

I'd assume you want to apply to Scottish medical schools only so I will give you the general picking subject advice of picking something you enjoy, and are willing to show up to class to and are able to get an A (if you want it); you will not be disadvantaged at any way for not doing AH then going to med school , I know someone who got in with AH bio/AH chem/AH music then another with AH chem/AH bio/AH english and there are people doing crash higher bio in S6 to get into medicine

Also, not recommending you pick a fifth choice when applying to med as - if you get no offers during S6 - it is cheaper and less competitive (undergad medicine is like 1 in 10 and can be lower whereas GEM is in 1 in 20 and can easily be higher) to get in a second time with a gap year rather than using all the free SAAS funding the governement has given you for a BSc
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by david221)
I am planning on applying for medicine and biomedical science in Scotland 2022. For my S6 subjects I am taking Higher chemistry AH biology and I need a 3rd subject either AH maths or AH history. I was just wondering if not doing AH maths would be a bad decision? I like maths and history but I thought I could use history to break my subjects up and hopefully get an AH grade out of it, but do you think I should take maths instead?

Does anybody have any advice on this? I know doing either degrees there will be a lot of maths but do you think you could get away with not taking AH maths? I am predicted an A in higher maths.

Thanks for any help!!
Hey david221 :^_^: We don't offer Medicine- but as a uni offering Biomedical Sciences I can say we'd not require your AH Maths. I do think you would likely get a bit more relevant content from an AH Maths curriculum than you would from AH History, but with that being said- you're doing plenty of other relevant things with your Higher Chemistry and AH Biology in S6 too so it's definitely not the end of the world if you don't take it For Biomedical Science we would normally look for you to achieve AABB/AAAC (two sciences – Biology/Human Biology B and Chemistry B; Maths and English National 5 B).

As you say, I think it's a great idea that you use your AH History to give your brain a bit of a break from the sciencey side of things and also continue with a topic you enjoy. For the Biomedical Science side of things- I don't think your application would be affected by the lack of AH Maths. Focus on getting your Higher this year and continuing on strong with your science subjects in S6

Good luck!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (26)
13.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (43)
22.87%
Live streaming events (17)
9.04%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (42)
22.34%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.34%