can anyone mark my 12 mark history question

Watch
kyefrankie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Explain why Wolsey fell from power in 1529 (12 marks)

One reason that Wolsey fell from power is because of his failure to secure an annulment for Henry. Henry wanted a son very badly and was not able to have a son with his wife Catherine of Aragon. Henry also had met this woman named Anne Boleyn who refused to sleep with him unless they got married. This meant that Wolsey was given the task to try and secure an annulment for Henry. He tried four main ways which consisted of: the wording of the papal document, convincing Catherine to become a nun, the papal court and using the bible. Ultimately, every single one of these had failed. This would have made Henry become enraged as he really desperately wanted this annulment because he really wanted a male heir and he was desperately in love with Anne. Wolsey had ultimately failed him as he could not secure this for the king. This is the most significant reason for Wolsey's fall from power.

Another reason that Wolsey fell from power is his failure in the Amicable Grant. The term Amicable Grant meant a gift to the king. Wolsey proposed this idea of the Amicable Grant which meant that people had to pay 1 sixth of their income and priests had to pay one third of their income. People were only given 10 weeks to find the money and pay. In addition to this whenever a new tax was introduced it had to go through parliament to make sure the king was not taxing the country too hard. However, Wolsey ignored this and didn't take it to parliament. To make matters worse a revolt broke out in Suffolk in 1525 where 10,000 people attended and simply could not pay this money. In the end Henry claimed he knew nothing about this and got rid of this tax. This was terrible for Wolsey as henry would have been furious as this was starting to give Henry a really bad name and henry really hates having a bad name. This was a significant factor in the reasons for Wolsey's fall from power.

A third reason that Wolsey fell from power is his failures in some of his foreign policies. Although the treaty of London in 1518 was a massive success as it made Henry be seen as a European peacemaker. Things began to go downhill from there in 1520 Wolsey had arranged “The field of the cloth of gold” in an attempt to improve the relationship with France. This was where a jousting, feasting, and even a wrestling match between the 2 kings took place. However, this did not at all improve the relationship with France because 2 years later in 1522 England had declared war on France. Spain also started to become suspicious and think that England was taking sides with France which had weakened the relationship with Spain. This was a massive failure but it was not the only failure as in 1529 the Treaty of Cambrai was signed which meant that France, Spain and England were all at peace. However England were only informed of these negotiations at the very last minute. Which meant that England was not being seen as a significant power like Spain and France. This would have been devastating for Wolsey as Henry would be really angry as he really wanted to have military glory and wanted to be seen as a very powerful man. This was a key reason for Wolsey's fall from power.

In conclusion, there were many contributing factors for Wolsey's downfall but i think the most significant reason was Wolsey's failure to secure an annulment for Henry as the one thing Henry wanted more than anything was a male heir to the throne and this could not be possible if he could not secure an annulment from Catherine of Aragon. This was also the final straw for Wolsey as there had been many key failures from Wolsey before this.
Ferrets
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, a quick question, was it supposed to have a reference?
ryandean
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kyefrankie)
Explain why Wolsey fell from power in 1529 (12 marks)

One reason that Wolsey fell from power is because of his failure to secure an annulment for Henry. Henry wanted a son very badly and was not able to have a son with his wife Catherine of Aragon. Henry also had met this woman named Anne Boleyn who refused to sleep with him unless they got married. This meant that Wolsey was given the task to try and secure an annulment for Henry. He tried four main ways which consisted of: the wording of the papal document, convincing Catherine to become a nun, the papal court and using the bible. Ultimately, every single one of these had failed. This would have made Henry become enraged as he really desperately wanted this annulment because he really wanted a male heir and he was desperately in love with Anne. Wolsey had ultimately failed him as he could not secure this for the king. This is the most significant reason for Wolsey's fall from power.

Another reason that Wolsey fell from power is his failure in the Amicable Grant. The term Amicable Grant meant a gift to the king. Wolsey proposed this idea of the Amicable Grant which meant that people had to pay 1 sixth of their income and priests had to pay one third of their income. People were only given 10 weeks to find the money and pay. In addition to this whenever a new tax was introduced it had to go through parliament to make sure the king was not taxing the country too hard. However, Wolsey ignored this and didn't take it to parliament. To make matters worse a revolt broke out in Suffolk in 1525 where 10,000 people attended and simply could not pay this money. In the end Henry claimed he knew nothing about this and got rid of this tax. This was terrible for Wolsey as henry would have been furious as this was starting to give Henry a really bad name and henry really hates having a bad name. This was a significant factor in the reasons for Wolsey's fall from power.

A third reason that Wolsey fell from power is his failures in some of his foreign policies. Although the treaty of London in 1518 was a massive success as it made Henry be seen as a European peacemaker. Things began to go downhill from there in 1520 Wolsey had arranged “The field of the cloth of gold” in an attempt to improve the relationship with France. This was where a jousting, feasting, and even a wrestling match between the 2 kings took place. However, this did not at all improve the relationship with France because 2 years later in 1522 England had declared war on France. Spain also started to become suspicious and think that England was taking sides with France which had weakened the relationship with Spain. This was a massive failure but it was not the only failure as in 1529 the Treaty of Cambrai was signed which meant that France, Spain and England were all at peace. However England were only informed of these negotiations at the very last minute. Which meant that England was not being seen as a significant power like Spain and France. This would have been devastating for Wolsey as Henry would be really angry as he really wanted to have military glory and wanted to be seen as a very powerful man. This was a key reason for Wolsey's fall from power.

In conclusion, there were many contributing factors for Wolsey's downfall but i think the most significant reason was Wolsey's failure to secure an annulment for Henry as the one thing Henry wanted more than anything was a male heir to the throne and this could not be possible if he could not secure an annulment from Catherine of Aragon. This was also the final straw for Wolsey as there had been many key failures from Wolsey before this.
top marks
kyefrankie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ferrets)
Hey, a quick question, was it supposed to have a reference?
hi, I was just given the question to answer
kyefrankie
Rep:
?
(Original post by ryandean)
top marks
thank you
Ferrets
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kyefrankie)
hi, I was just given the question to answer
Then it is great
kyefrankie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ferrets)
Then it is great
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.06%

Watched Threads