Gaming & mental health

Watch
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
There opinions are mixed overall but do you think video games benefits mental health? I personally think it does especially since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.
2003a39
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can do, especially when you don't play regularly. Anything is better than social media.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Apparently studies have concluded it actually benefits mental health when there’s good moderation
akshayaax
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Video games usually work as a distraction from depression, anxiety and stuff but sometimes it can cause you to be like sleep deprived so I think it's fine as long as you don't play for too long and take breaks
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RealLifeJoker)
There opinions are mixed overall but do you think video games benefits mental health? I personally think it does especially since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.
I think that as long as people don't play for too long to risk bad headaches, it is okay.
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I think that as long as people don't play for too long to risk bad headaches, it is okay.
Real simple. Just take regular breaks in between
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RealLifeJoker)
Real simple. Just take regular breaks in between
I do this anyway, even without headaches. I just couldn't think of another disease of mental health.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Video games are very beneficial to mental health and definitely got me through some very tough times in my life. If they're good, they can be very immersive and can be an escape from the *****y reality we live in. They also kept me away from most bad things.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As with anything, it can be abused. Playing games is as positive as any leisure activity, but being a supposed 'completionist' and 'Achievement hunter' feeling forced to do mundane tasks for hours, day, weeks in frustration just for imaginary trophies is a mental issue, though more a symptom or vehicle than the cause.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%