The Student Room Group

Official Nursing 2022 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Nadia71
Hi....I got an offer as well for the MSC Adult Nursing in Coventry. Can we hook up?

Hey how long did it take for you to get an offer after the interview?
Original post by Starsong
Just dropping in to say hello! I started Adult Nursing at Sheffield in September so I'm happy to answer any questions etc.

I'd definitely recommend Introduction to Nursing for First Year Students and also the Ross & Wilson anatomy & physiology book/workbook/colouring book.

Thank you for the advice on books. I was wondering which books were best to read up on
Reply 82
Has anyone applied to Dundee uni that doesn’t have the ‘typical’ entry requirements? Such as an access course that isn’t SWAP? I’ve emailed them numerous times but they always give such vague answers as to whether other access courses are acceptable or not.
what type of interview questions do Kings ask for bsc children nursing ??
Original post by zoey101xo
what type of interview questions do Kings ask for bsc children nursing ??

Hey, I interviewed at Kings and now attend there for adult nursing, but I'd imagine the questions will be somewhat similar. There will most likely be some scenario based ones, questions based on the 6Cs and NHS, and the typical ones about yourself and why you want to be a nurse :smile:
Original post by Becky2305
Hey, I interviewed at Kings and now attend there for adult nursing, but I'd imagine the questions will be somewhat similar. There will most likely be some scenario based ones, questions based on the 6Cs and NHS, and the typical ones about yourself and why you want to be a nurse :smile:

Ahh ok thank you soo much!! Also what do you mean by scenario based questions, can you give an example please? Much appreciated
Original post by zoey101xo
Ahh ok thank you soo much!! Also what do you mean by scenario based questions, can you give an example please? Much appreciated

No worries! Scenario based questions are where you get given a photo, voice recording or video that will be about a scenario in area of healthcare. You'll then get asked a question relating to whichever one it was, which might again be about the 6Cs or could be something else, like what you feel or how you'd react :smile:
Thank you!
Original post by Fortysomething
Really pleased to report I have a conditional offer for MSc adult nursing at Coventry - I’ve just got the mammoth task of putting my portfolio of prior learning together now - searching through the loft for all my old certificates etc !!

Hello, did u study any undergrad nursing program before applying for MSc nursing?..

If you didn't, can you please put me through how you went about the application process. Thank you
Original post by Becky2305
Hey all, just thought I would pop in and say that I'm starting my BSc Adult Nursing degree at KCL as a mature student this month, so if anyone wants any help with the application process, feel free to ask me! :smile: I also applied for 2 other universities, Surrey and Brighton, and was given a place at both.

Hi!
I've applied to King's, Surrey, Southampton and Cardiff for Adult Nursing and I have an interview with King's and Surrey this week. How was the King's interview? I'm quite nervous as the interviews came in before I even had the chance to prepare, I really thought I'd hear back by December as the earliest. What were the questions like and would you say you need a lot of knowledge on current situations regarding the NHS, nursing and medicine overall?

My Surrey interview will be a self-recorded one so I'd say I'm less nervous about that one as I don't really actually have to talk to anyone.
Original post by Hannahbeella
Hello, did u study any undergrad nursing program before applying for MSc nursing?..

If you didn't, can you please put me through how you went about the application process. Thank you

Not a nursing undergrad degree but I do have a degree already and have worked as a healthcare support either for seven years in the nhs and done lots of voluntary work in the community as well.
If anyone has any questions about getting into a nursing degree please do ask me, I'm a first-year student nurse (child health) and I found the interview season overwhelming but now looking back it wasn't too bad!

What universities have everyone applied to? :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by Hazelly
If anyone has any questions about getting into a nursing degree please do ask me, I'm a first-year student nurse (child health) and I found the interview season overwhelming but now looking back it wasn't too bad!

Thank you - I’ve applied to Nottingham and Exeter (MSc) for sept!
Original post by CLRd_1
Thank you - I’ve applied to Nottingham and Exeter (MSc) for sept!

That's great :smile: I'm also doing the Masters but not at Exeter, have you done interview yet or waiting?
Reply 94
Original post by Hazelly
That's great :smile: I'm also doing the Masters but not at Exeter, have you done interview yet or waiting?

Waiting for invites to be sent out. Hoping it isn’t too long now
Original post by CLRd_1
Waiting for invites to be sent out. Hoping it isn’t too long now

Eeek it's exciting times for sure. How do you feel about interviews?
Original post by Hazelly

What experiences did you have prior to applying?
Reply 97
Original post by Hazelly
Eeek it's exciting times for sure. How do you feel about interviews?

Good thanks! I’m worried about sounding cliche or saying the ‘wrong’ things but i guess everyone feels that. I also applied to 3 med schools so prepping for that has helped as the formats are quite similar even if the qus are different.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Christine_1988
What experiences did you have prior to applying?

I did:
- 100 hours of placement (due to the course I was doing - this was mandatory) - during the 100 hours, I worked mostly in a hospital doing patient experience where I simply went onto different wards, spoke to about five patients and asked several questions that revolved around the 6Cs (I.e., do you feel like the nurses treat you with compassion), I also went into a care home that did weekly music therapy and then befriending.
- 3 days in surgery, one day was observing the anaesthetist, the second day was with the scrub nurses, and then the recovery team. I watched various surgeries such as bowel repairs, appendectomies, and orthopaedic surgeries.
- I also volunteered in a school for a week that focused on pupils with special needs.

Bear in mind this was all before the covid-19 pandemic, so there were no restrictions on volunteering (apart from that you had to be 16 to be in surgery). I also completed online courses during the pandemic just to prepare myself for interviews.

I'm not sure whether people can start volunteering again in hospitals, however, if you can doing patient experience greatly improved my communication skills so I would recommend getting in touch with a local hospital if can just do a few hours a week speaking with patients etc.
Original post by CLRd_1
Good thanks! I’m worried about sounding cliche or saying the ‘wrong’ things but i guess everyone feels that. I also applied to 3 med schools so prepping for that has helped as the formats are quite similar even if the qus are different.

Just don't say cliche things and you should be fine! avoid things like "I always wanted to be a nurse" as it's something lots of students say, so make the interview personalised :smile:

How come you decided to apply to 3 medical schools and then 2 nursing schools out of curiosity?

Quick Reply