Are my A-Level options good?

Watch this thread
username5635896
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am considering taking these A-Levels:
Business
Sociology
Psychology

My dream university is Durham to study Social Sciences - Would these A-levels allow me to do this?
Baabaabinks
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
From the Durham social sciences site: these are the only a level subject requirements.
“If you would like to study:

Economics, an A in A level Mathematics is required.
English Literature, History or Music a grade A at A level (or equivalent) is required in the subject.
Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Russian or Spanish at an advanced level, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in the language is required.
Arabic, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish ab initio, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in any modern foreign language is required.
Chinese or Japanese ab initio, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in a modern foreign language is desirable but not essential.”

However, you are also not studying any facilitating subjects. As Durham is a very high ranking university, you may need to take one or two of the following subjects to improve your chances of getting in: (from the Russell Group site)

biology
chemistry
English
geography
history
maths
modern and classical languages
physics
username5635896
Rep:
(Original post by Baabaabinks)
From the Durham social sciences site: these are the only a level subject requirements.
“If you would like to study:

Economics, an A in A level Mathematics is required.
English Literature, History or Music a grade A at A level (or equivalent) is required in the subject.
Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Russian or Spanish at an advanced level, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in the language is required.
Arabic, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish ab initio, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in any modern foreign language is required.
Chinese or Japanese ab initio, a grade A at A level (or equivalent) in a modern foreign language is desirable but not essential.”

However, you are also not studying any facilitating subjects. As Durham is a very high ranking university, you may need to take one or two of the following subjects to improve your chances of getting in: (from the Russell Group site)

biology
chemistry
English
geography
history
maths
modern and classical languages
physics
Would A-level:

English Literature
Psychology or sociology
Business

Give me a better chance of getting in?
Baabaabinks
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WB15)
Would A-level:

English Literature
Psychology or sociology
Business

Give me a better chance of getting in?
Which courses do you want to choose within the social sciences?
username5635896
Rep:
(Original post by Baabaabinks)
Which courses do you want to choose within the social sciences?
Business
Sociology and criminology
anthropology
politics and international relations
Philosophy
Religion
possibly Literature
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WB15)
Business
anthropology
Philosophy
Religion
possibly Literature
You need different a levels for those different uni courses. Each one has specific requirements. Just choose subjects that you will enjoy if you don't know which uni course to choose.
Baabaabinks
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WB15)
Business
anthropology
Philosophy
Religion
possibly Literature
If you’re talking about Durham, all you need is English Literature + two others to be able to do any of those. Can you do politics or philosophy at your school? If not, psychology is always a better choice than sociology in terms of respect.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WB15)
I am considering taking these A-Levels:
Business
Sociology
Psychology

My dream university is Durham to study Social Sciences - Would these A-levels allow me to do this?
WB15
I have a degree in Sociology and my MSc is in Psychology so I know a little about this. This sounds like a good mix of subjects (I did English, Sociology, and Media Studies). I would say that studying Psychology gives you a few more options employability wise - culturally in the UK, people seem to have a better grasp of what Psychology is when they look at CV's. If you did want to do a Sociology degree I suggest doing some post graduate study afterward for a particular career such as Social Work or Teaching

Have you considered a social science degree at Arden University? You can do the course online or at a blended learning centre in Manchester, Birmingham or London? I did my MSc there and had a really good time. Have a look at some of the courses available - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/subj...logy-sociology

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
66.32%
No (43)
22.28%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.4%

Watched Threads