The Student Room Group

Economics without Maths

How much does not having maths limit the opportunities to do Economics at University or to get an Economics degree.
Not much. I have a friend who did English instead of maths and was accepted at Oxford for a PPE degree. (She also applied to other unis for Economics and was accepted by them).
You can most likely get away with not doing maths, as long as you got a decent grade for it in GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by AnxiousNobody
Not much. I have a friend who did English instead of maths and was accepted at Oxford for a PPE degree. (She also applied to other unis for Economics and was accepted by them).
You can most likely get away with not doing maths, as long as you got a decent grade for it in GCSE.

Okay thank you very much
Reply 3
What qualifies as a descent grade for maths GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by S3b.a21
How much does not having maths limit the opportunities to do Economics at University or to get an Economics degree.

You need to look at the admissions requirements for the universities you're interested in studying at.

Bristol, for example, lists its standard A-level offer as "A*AA including Mathematics" and its contextual offer as "AAB including Mathematics". Liverpool and Manchester also want A-level maths. On the other hand, other universities I looked at don't require maths (for example, Brighton and Huddersfield.)
Reply 5
I'm a final year econ student who didn't do A-level maths. Honestly, it is limiting factor if you're a high-flying student looking to go to a top 10 uni; I mean I can believe AnxiousNobody's friend got accepted for PPE at Oxford without maths but no way will a uni of that calibre accept a pure econ student without maths. You still have plenty of options outside the elite unis though, I made it to a decent RG uni.

My course required an A at GCSE and some of the maths we do is degree-level maths, so it's pretty demanding if you don't have an A-level. I do a BSc however, which generally has more maths than a BA (though not always). If you're not confident you can make the step up with maths I'd look more at BA courses.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by holatios
I'm a final year econ student who didn't do A-level maths. Honestly, it is limiting factor if you're a high-flying student looking to go to a top 10 uni; I mean I can believe AnxiousNobody's friend got accepted for PPE at Oxford without maths but no way will a uni of that calibre accept a pure econ student without maths. You still have plenty of options outside the elite unis though, I made it to a decent RG uni.

My course required an A at GCSE and some of the maths we do is degree-level maths, so it's pretty demanding if you don't have an A-level. I do a BSc however, which generally has more maths than a BA (though not always). If you're not confident you can make the step up with maths I'd look more at BA courses.

Which uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending